Insurance cancellation charge - put me into debt with Devitt!

maurizio
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me please.

I took out motorcycle insurance policy in January 2008, paid for the whole year upfront, about £160.

I got knocked off my bike in April, and didn't use it much after that as I had a baby in July.

In October I thought I might as well cancel it and phoned Devitt to ask them how much I might get back. The woman told me she couldn't tell me how much I'd be due but that they have a £40 cancellation fee.

I'm not entirely plugged in brainwise at the moment, having had a baby recently and didn't bother to work it out myself, I just signed the cancellation forms. I didn't imagine that I would end up owing them money.

I was shocked when I got a letter saying I owed them £27. It seems beaurocracy gone mad, just for the sake of me signing a form.

Devitt is threatening legal action unless I pay it but I don't see why I should pay them. I'm so cross with myself for signing the form but it does seem entirely unfair for them to charge me £27 on top of the whole year's insurance costs.

I have read that they charge cancellation fees to cover their admin costs.

But for them to charge more than the policy itself - are they allowed to do that?

Please can anyone help? Many thanks!

Emma

• 5 years later...
Hi, I wonder if anyone can advise me please.

I took out motorcycle insurance policy in January 2008, paid for the whole year upfront, about £160.

I got knocked off my bike in April, and didn't use it much after that as I had a baby in July.

In October I thought I might as well cancel it and phoned Devitt to ask them how much I might get back. The woman told me she couldn't tell me how much I'd be due but that they have a £40 cancellation fee.

I'm not entirely plugged in brainwise at the moment, having had a baby recently and didn't bother to work it out myself, I just signed the cancellation forms. I didn't imagine that I would end up owing them money.

I was shocked when I got a letter saying I owed them £27. It seems beaurocracy gone mad, just for the sake of me signing a form.

Devitt is threatening legal action unless I pay it but I don't see why I should pay them. I'm so cross with myself for signing the form but it does seem entirely unfair for them to charge me £27 on top of the whole year's insurance costs.

I have read that they charge cancellation fees to cover their admin costs.

But for them to charge more than the policy itself - are they allowed to do that?

Please can anyone help? Many thanks!

Emma

I sold my bike and informed Devitt, as I am obliged to by law, and they Slapped me with a £50 cancellation fee and a £22 brokerage fee for a "shortfall". My original insurance was only £120 in the first place. I said I'd cancel the direct debit and they threatened me with punitive charges and possible legal action if I did. They are bullies. I am going to ask the insurance ombudsman to intervene and report them to the financial conduct authority. If I have a legal obligation to do something I believe it's wrong that someone should profit from it. Granted the policy does say there is a £50 charge should I wish to change something i.e. to a different bike mid policy, but I shouldn't be further taxed if I am actually reducing their risk by no longer owning a bike.. Steer clear of these bandits.

As long as the amounts Devitt are seeking are covered by the policy terms and condition, neither the FOS or FCA will be interested.

However, make the complaint and see what happens. Sometimes Insurers decide to waive the charges, if the costs of dealing with a complaint mean it is not worth it.

Check your credit record to see if this has been reported.

You would be wise to resolve, as any debt will eventually get passed to outside debt collectors and it will just rumble on.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread