style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My husband and I took out mortgage life insurance back in 2003. At the time we were told that we must take out the life insurance to get the mortage. We pay £60 per month for this. Our bank is the First Trust and it was their Financial adviser that told us this. We are both self employed and our business account is with the same back.

The insurance is with the Norwich Union. Have we been mis sold this policy?

Any advice wouls be helpful

Laura:?

Hello and Welcome, Laura.

Sorry I can't help you with your question, but I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum, hopefully you'll get some good advice in there.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

was your adviser independent or not ? Im an adviser myself , it is advisable to get cover for life critical illness income protection etc but it all depends have you got the best have you got the cheapest etc For most loans etc they can suggest you take they cant insist but at the end of the day it depends what you can prove and whether their paperwork is up to scratch etc most people would be stupid to take on a commitment without a fallback situation which these types of policy are but it all depends if he was independent linked to norwich in some way ie through panel or tied agent etc regards gaz

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Hi

My husband and I took out mortgage life insurance back in 2003. At the time we were told that we must take out the life insurance to get the mortage. We pay £60 per month for this. Our bank is the First Trust and it was their Financial adviser that told us this. We are both self employed and our business account is with the same back.

The insurance is with the Norwich Union. Have we been mis sold this policy?

Any advice wouls be helpful

Laura:?

Like Gaz2954 says, they can't insist you have any life cover, but is advisable to have it to cover the outstanding mortgage once you die. Life cover is a good benefit to have!! if you can afford it. If you don't need it/want it, then stop paying the premiums and the policy will lapse.

As for mis-selling, you could argue that they did by insisting you have it to get the mortgage but personally I would keep the policy going (if you can afford the £60 per month) or perhaps shop around for a cheaper policy!

Bobbyh

you are perfectly within your rights to shop around, find another Life insurance policy and then cancel the other one, you can get it for far cheaper than £60 per month.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

If its £60 pm may be it includes Critical illness cover too and or Income Protection as well so really you need a like for like comparison also it may have been loaded for medical reasons only you will know that but I agree you can shop around but whats the cheapest may not be the same or the best .Pm me if you want some quotes and Ill ask a few questions and get you some figures but dont cancel and then get a new policy like my colleague says get a new one ready to start before doing anything with the other . Regards Gaz