Please Help Water table Level under house

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Please can you help? Any advise would be greatly appreiciated.:)

For the past 5 Months i have been sorting out a problem with my house. Every time it rains water is under my floor boards causing Damp Walls, Plaster Falling Off Etc.

I have been in touch With my house insurance (abbey) who sent out many people to investigate the problem. They really did not understand what the problem was and said it was a Yorkshire Water Issue.

I have contacted Yorkshire Water Who also Investigated and Said it was Either The highways Running off in to my Property OR Water Table.

So i contacted Then The Enviromental Health Dept In my Local Council And a very rude man said " what do you want me to do about it". Appartantly I have to find out where the Water is coming from and Then sort it from there, I tried to explain I dont know where its coming from thats why every one coming out to asses the problem. He also Stated It definatly Would not be a highways issue. (without seeing it)

So if it is water table what can be done, Do i have to live in damp conditions every time i get bad weather.

I have 3 small children under 5, and due to the damp i now have no carpet, or wallpaper. An infestation of Silverfish is Emotionally doing my head in. No one From pest control will bother coming out as untill the problem sorted or they will keep coming back and cost me a fortune.

Is this right how i have been treated especially with small children. My youngest Suffers with Chest Problems and no one seems to be bothered.

Please Help?:mad:

I can't offer you any help, but I am subscribing to your thread because I have the same problem. Luckily we have a celler/paddling pool depending on the weather.

I live less than 100ft from the sea deffence wall here in wet and windy Morecambe and just assumed it had something to do with that.

Regarding your children - do you have a nice health visitor? Can you get her onside and get her to get things moving for you re pest control.

:razz:ALWAYS REMEMBER, IF YOU GOT YOURSELF INTO YOUR SITUATION, YOU ARE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF GETTING YOURSELF OUT OF IT

WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE DCA's!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH UPLOADING YOUR IMAGES THROUGH PHOTOBUCKET CLICK HERE

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU OR MADE YOU SMILE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK MY STAR

Many Thanks For Reply As regards to Health Visitor, I have not checked into that. Even my local council wont do pest control for me.

I have found out so far from a water proofing company that a sump needs to be put in living floor. So that will cost a bit.

Just for clarity are the water company saying that it may be the natural water level in the gound - the water table (unlikely unless you are at the lowest point in your immediate area and a bit harder to deal with compared to run off)

• 3 years later...

Hi I am having the same problem and have looked at a few things. I have a sub floor which means trhat the floor I walk on is apprx 3 feet above the level of the water that is coming in.

A tanking system will not work as the water pressure from outside will push the "tank" off the walls/floor it has been adheared to and allow the water back into the

I am having to raise the sub floor by putting 12' of stones then adding 6/12' of waterproof concrete ontop of the stones. Waterproof concrete is approx 1/3 more expensive than ordinary concrete but it will avoid the need for a damp proof membrain that could rip or puncture on the stones and make ordinary concrete damp and allow water to penitrate.

I saw the waterproof concrete used on "Grand Designs" where a family built a basement with a floor level 2 METERS UNDER THE WATER TABLE LEVEL!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

I had a similar problem with my cellar, when it rained heavily I got 6- 12 inches of water over the floor.

I could not find out why and thought it was the water table coming up, however a few years ago the council and builders had the pavement up when new drains were needed for a new house next door.

They found that the old clay pipe that was meant to take rainwater from the surface drains had cracked completely and that much of the water was escaping to my cellar.

Since the pipe has been replaced I have had no further problems.

Is this a new problem, have you lived in the house for a period without any trouble? If so I would think that the problem does lie with the surface water drains.

The water table local to me is very, very low- so low that the water company can no longer pump from the bore holes they have used for 60 years and your area may be the same, your local water co. will be able to tell your the state of their local reserves. If they tell you that the water table is low I would go back to your council highways dept and insist that they investigate the surface water drains.

If theyare difficult about it go through your local councillor or go straight to your MP, I have done this on several occasions and in my experience a phone call or letter from an MP gets a very quick positive response.

Best of luck

Martin g

Edited by martin g
add thought