Car written off. Help needed!

LordLee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I own an old but very reliable VW Golf (M reg 1995) and was involved in a prang recently. It is totally repairable, just damage to the drivers side wing, headlight, bumper and grill.

My insurance company have written the car off stating it would cost £1100 to repair (ridiculous) and valuing my car at £550. I had my car valued a little while back and it was £900.

I'm not sure what my options are? Can i argue they are incorrect? If i buy the car back from them i doubt they will give me a decent quote for insurance (if at all).

Any ideas anyone?

Bit of additional info as just spoke to them... Apparently my car would've been valued at £800 but they've taken off £250 because the damaged wing was fading (before accident) and a wing mirror case was cracked. Also the assessor has said there is additional pre accident damage but he has failed to specify.

This is not true... There is no other damage by the way.

OK it's what is known as an 'economic total loss', ie it would cost more to repair than to replace.

The damage sounds cosmetic, so you can ask for a settlement where you retain the salvage, but you will have to pay for it (the insurance company will have a rough idea what the salvage is valued at (ie what a breakers yard would pay them for it) and will settle with you keeping the salvage if you agree to have this figure deducted from your settlement offer as well as your excess).

Ask them for a settlement figure where you retain the salvage and decide if you want to do that, insuring a car in these circumstances is quite common and doesn't usually affect premiums, but they will need proof you have carried out the repairs.

Mossy

Ok... the plot thickens. Once again, any advice welcome.

I know a reputable mechanic who can repair the car for £290. Yes... £290, way off the £1100 they seem to think it will cost to repair.

I called my insurance company and told them not only do I dispute the value of the car but also the estimate for repair. I was told that as this £290 quote is within the amount of my excess (£300) then as long as their Total Loss Dep agree, i can repair the car myself and all will be hunkydory.

Alas no. This is not possible as the Total Loss 'team' deem the car a 'Category B' Write off. They told me this means the car has come to the end of it's life and will not be taxed or insured in the future. All of this for a car that needs a new wing, headlight and indicator.

I tell the insurance company it is deemed a Cat B but i do not agree with the estimate placing my car in this category.

I am told that i may get an independent engineer to perform another estimate. If it comes in under their original price AND THEY AGREE WITH IT... they may repay me the engineer costs and proceed.

I'm beside myself with what to do? They will not budge on the car's value or total loss. All over a prang that requires superficial repair.

Any advice anyone? Where can i find these 'Engineers' and how much would they cost?

Cat B is beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage. It can have parts sold from it, but must be destroyed and such destruction notified to DVLA - it cannot be put back on the road.

Cat C is repairable salvage. Generally this applies to older vehicles where the value is low or for stolen cars that are recovered after the insurance co. has paid out the claim. Cat C requires a VIC before being allowed back on the road and Cat C will be recorded on HPI.

For an insurance repair, the quote of £ 1,100 will include obtaining new parts. This will be difficult for a 15+ year-old car. Your mechanics £ 290 probably means second-hand parts.

Your best bet is to get the insurers to put in writing why they consider the vehicle to be Cat B rather than Cat C. If it is purely on economic grounds, they may be persuaded to declare Cat C and sell you the vehicle 'for salvage'. However, if their engineer's report has noted any structural damage to the inner wings or chassis rails, then it probably is a Cat B.

You have obviously had a body shop look at it before the insurer's engineer inspected - what did they say?

OK... just chatted to the mechanic I had look at the car (not insurers engineer). The mechanic said it needed the new wing, headlight and indicator. The ONLY problem with mechanics that maybe at issue here is the radiator. The radiator is fine... but may have been moved half an inch forward. It just eases back. No leaks etc.

Yes the quote for £290 was with 2nd hand parts.