a few hours work while on JSA

sb_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry if the title doesn't explain properly, I wasn't sure what to put.

I've recently been made redundant and have just started claiming JSA.

The company I worked for want me to do some work for them, but it is only about a day work and want me to invoice them for doing it, so I won't actually be employed by them, I will in all essensce be doing the work as self-employed. I'm happy to do this work, but I haven't a clue what I need to do to make this legal, since any money I receive will be paid directly into my bank account. :-?

As much as I want to do this work, I don't want to go getting myself a criminal record or anything like that either.

There is a chance I will be asked to do more work for them in the future, but again it will only be a day here and there at most.

Can anyone please give me some advice ?

My flickr Page

Latest Photos - Metallica at the MEN Arena

The rules for working whilst on JSA cover both hours and pay. You can only work under 16 hours and any pay must be declared and knocked off your benefit pound for pound, so for you odd days working may well be a bit pointless.

Your other problem is the selfemployed aspect. If you are classed as becoming self employed you will be disallowed JSA. The legislation treats gaps in employment for the self employed as "part of the normal course of work" and they cannot claim in between contracts. Each time you did some self employed work all the details would go to a dec maker to decide if you are to be classed as self employed or not. You might get away with the first time as a one off, but the more you do the more likely it is they would class you as a self employed worker.

Each of these dec takes time and delays benefit (if it is reawarded). To be honest is it worth doing the odd day. Probably better putting your energies into finding a full time job elsewhere.

good luck

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

You have to inform the Jobcentre if you intend to work, even for a day. If you don't tell them and they find out, they will stop your benefit immediately and you could also be left open to the wrath of their fraud department.

If they decide to stop your benefit because you are working, you can do what I believe is called a "rapid reclaim" in order to avoid going through the entire lengthly claims process every time you work for a day. HOWEVER - I believe that self employed people are AUTOMATICALLY refused JSA, so please do bear this in mind

The best thing to do, is to give them a ring and ask how it would (hypothetically) work in your individual circumstances, as individual circumstance can vary from one claim to another. Also ask if a rapid reclaim would be possible. I don't know enough about benefit to be certain about this.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks for your reply, Ali.

I am concetrating on finding a new job and have a couple of irons in the fire as we speak. Might just decide to do the work as a freebie, since I can do it in the house at my leisure, so won't interfer with my job seeking :o)

I guess once I've got a new job, it'll be alot easier for me to help them out and be classed as self employed, since I can do everything they ask from home.

Thanks again for your advice

Erika, thanks for your advice too :o)

Edited by sb_uk
adding a thank you

My flickr Page

Latest Photos - Metallica at the MEN Arena

No probs, I used to work as JSA processor. BTW the rapid reclaim is just a shorter form (and you don't have to go through the phone claim at the start), it doesn't always mean the claim will be more quickly processed (although as they are usually fairly easy to process alot of staff would pull these out and do them first to push up you daily processing figures-yes we had daily targets lol). To qualify for a rapid reclaim the new claim must link to your previous claim (less than 12 week gap) and have no majors changes in circumstances since the last claim.

good luck

ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

• 9 months later...

I realise this is a little late in the day for the point that was initially raised BUT if you are doing SELF EMPLOYED work you need to notify the Inland Revenue within 3 months of starting or you will be fined (£100 at the last check). You will also be subject to other classes of NI contributions which you will pay by direct debit and depending on your earnings, you may qualify for a refund for these if you are a low earner. Having done that, if you are still claiming JSA you are duty bound to inform them of the hours & pay.