Bookie v Grattan - again...

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not having a good couple of weeks here... Washing-machine died the other day and now this... :-|

3 years ago, I bought Mr Bookie the TV of his dreams (at the time! Technology has moved on since): a 42" LCD Sony Home Cinema system, the KF-42SX300U, retailing at that point round the £1500 mark. Ouch. Still, it was on the BNPL over 50 weeks, and he was warned it would have to do for his next birthdays, Christmases, anniversaries and whatnot for the next few years... :razz:

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when dead pixels started appearing right in the middle of the screen. First one, then a couple of days later, another one, then another one... We're currently up to 5. Also at the same time, the bottom corner started having a blue hazy tinge that would come and go randomly... Except it's now more and more often, and it has spread to most of the side and since Sunday, it's now gone on to the middle of the screen in a sort of arc pattern.

On to my trusted Internet, where it would appear that this problem is known as the "blue blob", is down to an optical block of some sort failure, and it has been such an issue that Sony are repairing FOC until December 08.... in the US and Canada. Sony Europe? Nah, no chance. :rolleyes:

I contact Grattan and tell them nicely of the issue and what do they plan to do about it? Reply: Contact Sony, here's the number, they'll be able to help. Hmmm... Ok, so maybe they have a direct line for their own customers? Some companies do, right? At any rate, it's worth a call just in case.

Of course, I was giving Grattan too much credit. :-( This was the number for Sony Europe, who of course wanted to charge me for this and frankly had no interest in the fact that their counterpart across the pond were doing rather better. (then again, there is a class action going on against Sony US about that at the moment)

So back to Grattan, where I have told them in no uncertain term that a) it is their problem and what do they intend to do about it? and b) that I am rather displeased at their clumsy attempt to palm me off to Sony. :mad:

Update as and when it comes.

Already starting to feel sorry for Grattan....:p

Definately!

The blue blob problem sounds terminal - I've got one on my very old Toshiba (it's not flat, it's not silver!) which is fine when you are watching a film about the ocean I guess.

As for the US sorting this out for free and the UK saying 'go whistle', well that's no surprise. My son's laptop's wireless bit stopped working about a month out of warranty. It's 'known issue' with Hewlett Packard in the States and very easy & free to get repaired, but over here? Fat chance! In the end I just bought a plug in wireless adaptor.

Go for it Bookie! :-D

Phone call a moment ago: they're prepared to take back the TV and refund me minus a 40% usage allowance, which would give me about £840 to buy a new one. The way the prices have dropped in the last few years, it would allow me to buy an equivalent or slightly better no problem, as long as it is a cash refund, not a credit to my catalogue account, obviously (forgot to check, but I'll kick off on that if need be, after all, I have paid in full, so to coin a phrase: it's my money! :razz:).

Very tempted to accept straight away, I have to say, I've got so much on my plate just now, and I do feel it is quite a fair offer.

Comments? :-)

I'd take it - with reservation.

Compared to a replacement or repair, it is probably the most proportionate. You would also be the worse off imho if you sought compensation.

Looks like they have complied with the letter of the law at least.

However 40% - is that a bit too harsh? A three year old TV having a lifespan of 7 years? Hmmm. Dunno. May have a fight arguing otherwise...

Grab it and run, I say.

As long as refund is by cheque and not by credit to your account that seems reasonable to me.

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court