Travel Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do I need travel insurance, or more to the point do my daughters?

They make regular flights to and from Scotland (Bristol - Scotland), about 4 return flights a year. They aren't on holiday, need accomodation etc etc. They purely use it as a means of transport? Do they need cover? If so what type and any suggestions from where?

kind regards

This really depends on the terms and conditions of your home contents cover. Policies can vary quite a lot in what they cover and what they don't, so it's worth checking your policy documentation. If you have any doubts contact your insurer and ask them to clarify.

My gut feeling is that even if it looks like the luggage is covered "outside the house" an insurer might be willing to argue the point if your luggage ended up in Milan.

Thanks for your reply,

The only thing I would look for is luggage cover but since their personal belongings are covered up to a value on my normal contents insurance would I need any other cover?

You have to remember that if something were to happen to them whilst they're away, the NHS won't pay for say a taxi or an ambulance to get them home, so you have to ask yourself how would they get back if there was an emergency? Or how would you get there?

On the other hand, most people manage and the costs are usually considerably less than a repat from abroad. Also, not all travel insurances will cover for UK only travel, so you'd have to make sure you get something which will cover that.

In the end, really, it's really about personal choice, pay more for the bet and braces approach or minimise costs and take your chances that nothing will ever go wrong. If you do decide to get insurance, I'd suggest an annual policy rather than buying a new one every time, it will soon work out as cheap and then you don't have to remember every time.

They actually travel to and from a military boarding school, they are also registered there for NHS treatment etc... as far as us getting there we would just drive up, additionally if they broke something and had to come home again we would collect them...... I know the house insurance covers their laptops etc (I called to check when they got them) but not sure about clothes (I will check that one). Thanks again for the advice.