My friend let the COuncil Bailiffs in!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, i am after some advice as i am not sure what to do in my current situation.

Long story short i owe Council Tax for the year to the tune of £1147.27

As a person living by himself i believe i am not liable for all of this but never followed it up.

As i havent paid a penny the council passed over this debt to Bristow and Sutor.

My friend let in the bailiff when i was at work.

The conversation went something like:

Bailiff: can i come in

Friend: sure

My friend assumed if he didnt let the bailiff in then the police would come - of course this isnt the case but he didnt know.

Once the bailiff was inside he made an inventory, and a "Notice of seizure of Goods"

This was on Friday 24th Oct, and i was given 5 days to begin making installments or my property would be seized.

The amount to be paid back is unrealistic for 2 reasons:

1 - it is out of my means

2 - i am not liable for the full sum (although i may well have given up that right!!)

All the paperwork looks to be in order, except the Inventory is not very specific. For example - where it says "PC - Black" i can quite easily remove my PC and replace it with a Black PC case. I know he did not inspect or record the quality of my property.

I have not contacted the Bailiff, or the Council. This is because i first found out about this Friday PM after returning from work. Saturday and Sunday are not working days of course, and i have not had the chance to deal with this at work today.

So now i have tonight and tomorow to figure out my position.

Any advice appreciated, many thanks.

how many years have you lived alone and have you always paid full rate.

You are entitled to a 25% single occupancy discount this can also be backdated to march 1993 when council tax was introduced.

You also do not need to prove " good cause" in other words why you did not claim it before.

Council Tax discounts, exemptions and financial help : Directgov - Home and community

I would get in touch with the council to get this sorted.

Regards

Leon

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.