The council are making my mum pay £700 council tax for nothing! :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey. Basically my mum got a letter saying she owes over £700 in areas to the council because they miss-calculated her earnings. They are now saying that if she doesn't pay the debt off they will take her to court?!

What can we do about this if anything :(

P.S It's not her fault, it's the councils.

hi there.

Something must be in the water as this is the second one i've looked at today.

If you are absolutely certain that it is a council mistake and that whenever a change in cicumstances happened, which may have affected the amount of benefit, they were told then you may have a claim.

Basically, If they made a mistake in the calculations and you couldn't have reasonably known about it then you could argue that you are not liable.

some councils get very shirty when they are challenged and send it straight to legal. If they start threatening you with court it may need a letter denying you owe them a debt however, make an offer to pay something each week just to keep them off your back. if you have to do this, send them a letter with the heading "I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOU"( If anyone else has better wording, please let me know)

If they still say it's your fault, complain and escalate it to the chief executive of the housing department.

If all else fails, complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

NOTE: I am basing my answers on my own personal experiences with my local council and not all councils follow the same rules.

good luck

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Morning:)

As far as I'm aware This is a civil matter, not a criminal one. If they take you to county court and win and then you don't pay then that is a criminal matter so don't worry too much about that at the moment. Again as far as I'm aware they have to get a judgement before they can send bailiffs around (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Whilst a complaint is going on the council shouldn't carry on with court action

Is it a threat of court action at the moment or is it the standard letter saying if you don't pay we may consider taking you to court?

Just another thought. I've found out on other threads that it's a good idea to keep the envelopes that any letters come in. staple them to the letter so you know which is which.

fox

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

If the arrears are though overpaid Council Tax Benefit then the resultant Council Tax arrears can be re-claimed and is a criminal offence which is why , ultimately, the council can consider committal.

Prior to any bailiff action the council must have obtained a Liability Order on the debt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the council have to prove that a fraud was committed before legal action. If the OP didn't supply all the information requested when applying for council tax or told lies when applying then yes an offence has been committed however, if the OP gave them the correct information then the council made a mistake with the processing then the OP wouldn't nescessarily know a mistake was made. In that case the could be held liable for their own mistakes.

If eljay could supply some more info on this it would clear up any confusion.

I know from my own experience that councils muck up a lot.

This is a line from my own council paperwork:

Overpayments that are caused by official errors can only be recovered if the customer, or someone acting on their behalf, could have known there was an overpayment.

All good fun:?

fox