Dialling 141 on your mobile to withhold your number

florish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3915 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope it's ok to post this here.

I had a call on my mobile (O2 monthly contract) from a number I didn't recognise.

So I dialled the number - using the 141 prefix - witholding my number (or so I thought).

When the company answered, the person addressed me with my name.

I thought how the hell did they know that when I'd prefixed their number with 141 ??

I'm usually so careful about who has access to my number.

Thankfully it wasn't a DCA.

However as an experiment, I've just dialled a friend's land line number - using 141

and sure enough my mobile number is still displayed on their telephone.

I (obviously mistakenly) thought that 141 worked on any telephone - but it doesn't.

I've now gone into my mobiles's settings and changed caller ID to 'no' - and that

definitely works.

I feel as though I've had a lucky escape, especially after reading various posts on here from

people who have wondered how DCAs' know their numbers, even when using a new cellphone.

Maybe this could be one of the reasons for it.

Be careful

Florish

141 was removed from being able to be used on mobiles about 2 years ago. This is on the up to date phones only so if it is over 2 years old it may still work.

If u want to with hold ur number u have to do it threw setting and phone settings on your handset.

I dont know why it was removed but it was.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

141 was removed from being able to be used on mobiles about 2 years ago. This is on the up to date phones only so if it is over 2 years old it may still work.

If u want to with hold ur number u have to do it threw setting and phone settings on your handset.

I dont know why it was removed but it was.

Thanks again G/M.

I never knew that.

Florish

Thats not true whatsoever Godmother.

It is certainly possible that individual networks have removed the 141 ability(although I'm certainly not aware of it). However, it has not been removed "from mobiles", either old or new. Apart from anything else, this is a network service, not a handset service.

My iPhone on TMobile does it fine.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Trying it out now - I thought it worked on mobiles too:eek:. Not that I would ever ever call a DCA from my mobile or anywhere for that matter!!!!!!

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

What network you on GL?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

O2/Tesco and I have just rang my house to be told the number had been withheld so I am OK:D

And don't I know that the emergency services log your number. I got my handbag snatched in a supermarket car park a couple of years ago and as the car with the robbers in screeched off I rang 999 (mobile, purse, car and house keys were all in my coat pocket!!) the operator must have repeated my mobile number at least twice and all I was shouting was 'shut up, I am trying to tell you a car numberplate and you are making me forget it!' One of those silly things that is so unhelpful.

Edited by Goldlady

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

well i have a few payg mobiles and it does not work as 141 0n any of them.

i am mainly on voda due to eveyone i ring on voda but i have a t mobi and orange and o2 and 141 dont work on there unless i active it in the settings of myphone.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I cant find the topic now but there was a thread about this on the vodafone forums.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
#31# before the number on a mobile will withold your number!
I only recently discovered that 141 did not work on the Three network although it seems to be working on others such as Vodafone and T-Mobile. However, the #31# prefix does work with Three although more research is required to establish if it works with all UK mobile networks and with any of the land-line operators.

Thanks for the tip Nortie!

Just for safety, however, I invariably ensure that the settings on my iPhone (O2) are changed to 'withhold number'. Since I have genuinely ex-directory phones at work and home, however, I tend to use landline when dealing with DCAs.

"In this situation, you know what you have to do? Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dory - Finding Nemo.:wink: