I Like This Idea

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In Spain if you are involved in an accident there is a space on the claim form for the other party to sign it and say that they agree with the accident circumstances as described.

It's brilliant because both drivers sign each others claim form to say that they agree with what has been said on that claim form regarding the accident circumstances. Insurers there will not accept a claim form until it has been signed by the other party which does add to the hassle of filling in the form in the first place but saves much more time in the future when someone decides to be less than truthful.

Personally I think it's a great idea and it should be adopted in this Country.

Mossy

Well what if they continue to refuse to accept it? Does the claim just sit in limbo, or is there some form of arbitration?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

The paperwork gets returned to the policyholder as 'incomplete', no claim file is started.

But the way it works in reality is that because both policyholders have to sign each others claim forms they meet up and complete both forms together, it's very rare that only one of them will have a claim form signed by the other party.

Result is that both insurance companies end up receiving claim forms that they know will not be contested at a later date.

Mossy

What I mean is...what if the stories differ, and neither side is willing/able to sign?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

What I mean is...what if the stories differ, and neither side is willing/able to sign?

Oh that's where it gets really good and really comes into it's own.

The two policyholders 'sort it out' themselves, face to face. No hiding behind letters etc. They both know that it won't be dealt with until they have each agreed each others stated version of events so the truth really does out.

That's the beauty of it

Mossy

PS Remember they are only stating and agreeing the accident circumstances and NOT liability

Hmmm....I agree, but it leaves itself open to abuse. What if I simply refuse to sign out of spite? If it was my fault, why not just refuse to sign always? Especially if no damage to my vehicle(or very little) and I was to blame?

If you refuse to sign out of spite I imagine that the other person then starts becoming a pain in your arse (ringing you up, banging on your door, bringing big relatives around to 'have a word').

The innocent party is really not going to leave it in abeyance.

Apparently it works really well in practice over there (yeah I can imagine there are quite a few pre-signing disputes which the insurance company is unaware of)

Mossy

The problem is that because the issue is transparent UNTIL the forms are signed, the reality is that exactly the situation I have mentioned could be happening left right and centre, and it is unquantifyable.

I agree in theory that it is a good idea, but realistically you are being a bit idealistic about it MC - for a party who is at fault, and with little damage to their own vehicle, there is NO incentive to sign, and NO ability to circumvent this(to your knowledge) - I think that this will be happening a great deal more than you think.

The problem is that because the issue is transparent UNTIL the forms are signed, the reality is that exactly the situation I have mentioned could be happening left right and centre, and it is unquantifyable.

I agree in theory that it is a good idea, but realistically you are being a bit idealistic about it MC - for a party who is at fault, and with little damage to their own vehicle, there is NO incentive to sign, and NO ability to circumvent this(to your knowledge) - I think that this will be happening a great deal more than you think.

Ah sorry I see your point now, it's late remember ;)

I was saying I like the idea from the point of view of a claims handler because they don't get to know about the accident until both parties have agreed the circumstances, and then nobody suddenly changes their story. It makes it so much easier to sort out.

It may well be a nightmare for the person who can't get the form signed, but that's not the claims handlers problem since they don't see the form until it is complete.

I suppose they must have a contingency for exceptional circumstances though (ie the other party cannot sign this form because I battered him to death when he refused to sign my form etc)

Mossy

No problem :)

I'm sure its great from your point of view mate :D its doing your job for you haha!!

Just think it could cause real issues for the genuinely innocent party.

Yeah seriously though there will be times when it isn't possible to get it signed (hospital cases or fatal accidents etc) and there is a provision for that, but I like it because it gets rid of those claims where at the time of the accident the guilty party admitted it and then later decided to change their story.

From what I understand they carry blank claim forms around in the car and if an accident occurs they fill them out there and then and sign each others.

Personally I like the image of big relatives or those with 'mafia' connections coming round to 'have a word'

Mossy

:D:d:d

From what I understand they carry blank claim forms around in the car and if an accident occurs they fill them out there and then and sign each others.

It's called the European Accident Statement as is used across Europe - except here. This is an example of one printed in English, and here German and French. The questions are the same regardless of the language. It is multi-paged and carbonless, so it only has to be completed once and each driver takes a copy.

Personally I like the image of big relatives or those with 'mafia' connections coming round to 'have a word'

Mossy

this si what worries me about the Spanish system. An innocnet motorist being bullied into false admissions.