Saga Car Insurance

inn o cent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5657 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi hopefully someone can help me.

My wife was reecently hit by a Saga Insured driver who admitted it was all his fault and Saga provided her with a hire car whilst they asses her car.They have now written her car off and have offered her £5500 in settlement.

We have dismissed this offer on the grounds that we purchased the car in March 07 for £13000 (Toyota Rav 4 vx 2003) the car was at the top of Toyotas spec for that year and only had 20,000 miles on the clock

We have provided Saga with x7 different examples of Rav 4's including an exact copy of our car but with double the mileage and manual (Ours is Auto) which is for sale IRO £7000.

They have increased the offer to £6000 verbally but we still feel they are totally unreasonable and need some guidence please.

thank you

Whatcar values it at between £7-8.5. I feel you may be overestimating the value here - in particular, the mileage wont make that much difference.

However, £6k is somewhat insulting. I would advise getting Parkers guide to check the price in there. Mossycat will be along in due course no doubt to advise on the actual procedure.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

As you car ahs been written off and liability has been admitted by both the other driver and his/her insurance company (AA/Saga), you are entitled to be put back into the same position as you where before the accident.

IOW, they must pay enough for you to replace the vehicle with an identical make/model/equipment spec. and as close as possible to the mileage of yours.

OK first off Pat is 100% correct in her advice.

I'm assuming you have comprehensive insurance (due to value of the car), but for whatever reason you have chosen to deal with this matter directly and claim from the thrid party insurers (ie SAGA).

It matters NOT what you paid for your vehicle, in recent months 4x4's have fallen in value buy large sums of money (Government tax is the main culprit), as MrShed has also stated the low mileage will not make that much of a difference (but it will make some). Also follow his advice and check Parkers (etc) or if you know a friendly motor dealer ask if they will give you the GG price (Glass's Guide).

What you need to show to SAGA is that it is impossible to replace your car for what they have offered. Look in AutoTrader (or online) and find examples of models as close to yours as possible, but remember forecourt prices include an element of 'bargaining', ie if you went along with cash (ie no part ex) they will discount that price down a bit.

Send all of this off to SAGA to support your claim, and also include any other uninsured losses (ie anything you have spent as a direct result of this accident, eg out of pocket expenses, time spent, phone calls, letters, general inconvenience). Itemise each item of claim and state the amount you are claiming.

When you receive a reply in writing from them (hopefully with a revised offer) if you are still unhappy ring them and ask to speak to the claims manager quoting what Pat said about getting put back in the position you were in prior to the accident and ask how you can do that with such a low offer to replace the car.

Post back if you are still hitting a brick wall when you have done this.

Mossy

Edited by Mossycat

OK first off Pat is 100% correct in her advice.

his advice

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Thanks for the correction Bernie and apologies to PatDavies, I admit I was guilty of assuming that Pat was a female name and not that it was a shortened Patrick (or similar).

Mossy

He's had worse!

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.