The Law re Council Tax Single Occupancy discount

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5639 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am having trouble with the council, yet again and wondered if anyone on here could point me in the right direction re actual law for council tax 25% single occupancy?

I am being refused single occupancy discount, even though I have advised the council of the fact I live with no other adults. Did this by letter. They say I have to go into the office and go through the 25% discount form with them...as it will be quicker!!!! but why won't a letter from me sent recorded delivery do? I think they are being obtuse and prejudicial, to be polite. I don't know the forwarding address of the person who has left here and the council wants this. They have only me down on the electoral vote, yet they are still telling me that they haven't been advised of my single status at home and have sent the bully bailiff boys in, who have charged me £49 for posting a letter through the letterbox, telling me of an impending visit!! I am really sick and tired of the intimidation and fed up with having to pay them money that they aren't entitled to. All this in time Christmas, too!!

Surely, if you advise them that someone has left, then that should do? It's not for me to provide them with a tracking system!! Arghhhh

Any help would be much appreciated. I went to CAB before and they were a bit useless, to be polite.

You are indeed entitled to a 25% single ocupancy discount as council tax is worked out for 2 adults living in a property they should also backdate the claim to when you first informed the council.

The legisation is below, filling there form should be enough i never had this aggro when i applied.

Local Government Finance Act 1992 (c. 14)

Edited by pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I think they're being awkward with you.

As PF says it shouldn't be that difficult.

When I had a lodger moved in I just wrote to the council, giving the date & they adjusted the bill.

Wrote on the date he moved out & they adjusted the bill again.

Only "hassle" I got was a confirmation form a couple of times a year to sign & confirm it was still single occupancy.

If you state that then it's up to them to prove otherwise.

ill just clarify here the last point i made you sent them a letter to inform them of the change.

There response to that would be to send you a single ocupancy discount form to fill in and return now on the form there is a signature box which you sign as being the truth.

So you see that should do it as it is now them to prove it wrong and if it was they can claim it back.

Regards

Leon

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.