pre-notified charges hsbc

confused009
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5451 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys, im so confused and was hoping someone cn help. im only a student alredy have no money coming into my account and recently have been charged 'pre-notified charges' of £16. i hadnt a clue of what it even meant. so i checked my unopened statement today and read the statement and cant even remember taking an overdraft, im usually so good and dont even take out money when theres nothing in my account and apparently i have done so more then once for them to charge me? will they be charging me on a regular? and will ibe able toclaim this back from hsbc bank? and how? please help :( :(

hi confused

welcome to the forum.

it's been awhile since i've welcomed a newbie - but i'm sure you'll get a lot of help along the way - you've come to the right place.

firstly, let me say that you will need to read through this link to get a feel for the reclaiming process

FAQs :::::::::::::::::::::::::- PLEASE READ THESE FIRST!!! -:::::::::::::::::

and further down that page is this: Sticky: Guide To Reclaiming Bank Charges - April 2008 - draft

yes, it looks as if you are getting a bank charge. as for the overdraft, it will have been in the fine print when you opened the account and let me tell you how dear old hsbc has operated in the past - just so you are in the know..

your overdraft (at whatever level it is £100, £500, whatever), once you have gone over a good few times, a kindly person will ring you and say to you that you seem to be having a little trouble with that amount - wouldn't it be better if they raised the bar a little to give you some breathing space. and so it goes, each time you say yes, you are deeper in debt and more in their grasp - until they will ultimately offer you a loan to pay off your overdraft and start with a clean slate -

the managed loan is something to be avoided - don't do it.

you are in the very early stages of this one sided game and it is much easier to get out of it now than to get sucked in.

i'd say - get out of the situation if you can. perhaps they will let you have a no overdraft account - or perhaps they will say they can't do that.

if you are very good with your money and don't intend to go over your limit again - then fine, stick with the overdraft, pay off this charge and don't do it again. some people aren't as good at keeping track - so they need the overdraft - but remember - the overdraft is their money - they are loaning it to you for a short time - and eventually it will need to be paid back, so keeping it low is to your advantage.

i'd normally not go into so much detail - but most people on this site are way, way beyond the beginning stages of having one fee charged and i think it would be sooooo much better for you to nip it now rather than get into the sticky mess that comes from going over your overdraft.

and to that end - one more little bit of information.

if this is the very, very first time you've gone over and incurred a charge - it would be worth your time to go into the bank and talk to someone - tell them how this is all new to you and you don't intend to ever do it again.

ask them in a very polite manner to reverse that charge and let them know that you understand that should it ever happen again - they are well within their rights to charge you - but, you've a very good chance of getting that first charge reversed. if the first person you ask doesn't help - ask politely to see their supervisor and politely ask again.

also, i heard on the news that the student loan people were backed up and many students hadn't yet received money that was expected -

if this happens to be the case - tell the bank and again, i'm sure they will let it go this once.

just as an aside - my son at 18 got involved as above and the end result was reclaiming over £2,000 in charges a couple of years ago. it is a much longer process now because of the court case. but the end result was, he left hsbc and took out a halifax basic account because it wouldn't allow overdrafts. several banks offer a no frills account - his pay goes in and he has a card and gets it out and that's the end of their association.

it's not for everyone - but it has it's uses. if you are interested, i'll find the link that explained it.

good luck

and i'm sure you'll get a couple of other responses

you aren't alone

we've all been there in one way or another but i still think you are at the earliest stages of this problem and as such it would be easier to get out of the problem than to let it get worse.

• Haha 1

Hi confused 009 , welcome to the forum :)

Lateralus (our Latty :p) hasn't left a lot for the rest of us to add - she' s given you excellent advice there.

What she was mentioning was a 'parachute' account - i.e . an account with a bank that doesn't let you have an overdraft and you can pay in your income and use it for day to day expenditure. There is a link which explains it, but at this early stage I doubt if you'll need it - and I hope you never do.......

The other thing Latty mentioned was a 'Managed Loan' - which

is to be avoided at all costs - they'll try to suck you into one - don't let them do it - the link below is good reading for when you're at a loose end - if you like horror stories!

:eek:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/15457-who-has-had-managed.html?highlight=who+has+managed+loans

As Latty says , you are at a very early stage in this process - try very hard not to go further in -

Best of luck , and if you need further advice don't hesitate to come back and ask - we're a friendly lot on here ....... :)

Edited by johnnymitch
tidying up font marks

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Hiya confused009, welcome to the mad house that is the HSBC forum :D.

The terms and conditions of your account should be somewhere on the HSBC home page, (sorry its a long time ago I was a student so I#m not up on that account lol) it will tell you when the bank thinks they can snaffle your money.

They cant but continue to do it because of the test case... and they are all a bit broke... they need petrol for the BMW's :rolleyes:

Practicaly.... as a student I would try to stay within the limits of your student account there are no quick paybacks of charges :( if you have only had one or two you can try going in to see them, sometimes you can get them back as a one off (it only works once) :cool:.

Good luck with your course :)

pete

• Haha 1

thanks guys uv been very helpful, iv relised i actually didnt take out any money when i didnt have anything in my account, its a stupid flex savings account i have that puts me on credit cz i dont save anything into it which i end up transfering back into my account, its all so confusing but i need to get rid of the flex savings account its causing all the problems and nothing even ends up getting saved into it....but thnx guys

hi auds, how the heck are you - still working on that typing course i see!!!

confused009 - you have any more questions, you pop right back here - you've just heard from 4 of the smartest people i know! lol....

we're a hoot - with the combined age of about 562! and iq about the same!!!

Hi Auburn , long time since you popped in ..... :D are you ok?

Jeez Latty , I didn't think you were 500 :p LOL!

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hey Latty erm yes, well you would have been so disappointed if I had improved wouldnt you!!! ha ha ha....I dont eat smarties too many e numbers in them....lol

Hi Duke, dont think its that long......lol. you gave me a link for the credit do dah and thats not that long ago surely!!! I am ok thanks :D

rockin all over the world

009 I know this is a very obvious question but have you asked them for the dates that these "alleged transgressions" took place?, it sounds by what you have said that you dont actually remember this...

oh and as for the flexi savings account.. lol yes agree best thign to do is get shot of it.....

my son (16) opened on in the summer basic bank account and it has one of those attached ot it.... he was away with friends at a rock festival... i put money in it for him..... guess what, they put it into his savings account... not the bank account..... I had to drive 150 to pick him up!!!! funnily enough it wasnt hsbc's fault!!!...

rockin all over the world

in case anyone is interested - this is a little gem of a link:

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk...k_accounts.pdf

you can look at the various basic bank accounts on offer and pick one to suit (as i said above - my son picked the halifax one with no overdraft available).......it's all explained on the link and no bank willl advertise these accounts as they don't make money out of them - you have to ask - and in fact for the halifax one he had to apply in writing - won't even do them at a branch - but he's had no trouble with it and had it now for several months.

• 1 month later...

Thankyou to everyone for this thread! it's really helpful unfortunately I have the same problem, I have got many

"PRE-NOTIFIED FEES & CHARGES"

after reading this, I'm still not sure if I can claim this back!

also, I've got a charge called

"CHARGE RECALL S/O-D/D"

it always comes out when another company tries to take out £100 from my HSBC account (which I pre-arranged) but because I dont have £100 i9n my account, it is returned and then the "CHARGE RECALL" is applied.

Can I claim this back?

Any help at all would be greatly GREATLY appreciated!

I've checked everywhere and can't find details on these 2 charges

Thanks to ANYONE in advance!!!

Welcome to the forum kash21:)

Have a read of this link

Charges description on statements (i.e.what you can claim for

http://consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/15518-charges-description-statements-please.html

If you have any further questions , please open your own thread , it's easier that way to get answers that pertain to you.........:)

There's a New Thread button at the top and bottom of the main(HSBC) site page ...... just press it, give your thread a name , and off you go ...... you'll always get an answer , and we're a friendly lot ........ :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 4 months later...

I just be clobered by this crap. I hadn't even realised I had gone overdrawn

(just £15.05 for 6 days) Only when i saw the £15 charge . I calculate that work out at to be the same as paying 6000%. The bankers eae are the same crook thta have helped ruin are econemy and then left ht egoverment inwith masive debt after it was stupid enough to bail out theese scuim with billion of pound of public money . Nuke the city I say, hoepefull;y when all the exuctive are there

hi cadwern

welcome to the forum.....

i see you are a graduate of the audreygreeneyes school of typing (hope you've got a sense of humour - you'll need it to deal with the banks and us! - lol)

if you've found this thread - then you've seen the advice given to confused009 up near the top of this page -

same still goes.....

in fact - these charges are the very same charges that we have been fighting for awhile now - and they are the subject of a court battle at the moment. prior to the court case - many of us simply asked for our charges to be returned plus interest and either the banks did or did not return them - when they didn't - we put in a court claim and they would wait and we would wait and just before it got to a court case - they would give the charges plus interest back. they finally got tired of the game and decided to let the courts decide if these charges are fair or not.

all the cases that hadn't be paid out and hadn't gone to court and all the cases that have since been filed are now in a holding pattern waiting for the court decision.

but the game is the same - you make a list of the charges, ask for them back, say you will file a claim and then you file the claim. all very straight forward - all the advice, letters, procedures you need are found in the notes linked above.

my only other advice would be to start your own thread the next time you want to write in - this is for a very good reason.

you will be in the forum to get the best advice for you - so go to the forum for your bank and press the new thread button near the top

here is the one for hsbc newthread.gif

having your own thread will help us to help you - all your story and info will be in one place instead of scattered all through other people's info.

by all means feel free to comment on others threads but for advice and your own claim - start your own thread.

again, welcome and believe me, we all fee the same about banks, bankers and their unfair charges.

Hi confused009

Have a look at my thread, I graduated last year and this is the grief I am in with HSBC now. My advice is to quit with HSBC - they seem very lovely at first and then turn nasty when things don't go their way. If your in London, I highly recommend speaking to staff at the Piccadilly branch, or (my branch) Covent Garden. Wonderful people.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/193587-saga-hsbc-me-help.html