Council tax paid to the landlady

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I live with my landlady, but in the process of moving out. I've paid her rent, not included the council tax or any other bills. At the beginning of the tennancy, she suggested, that all the bills will be on her name, since it's her property and me and my other housemate will be paying our share of the bills to her account. So, I've paid the bills and council tax to her account for a year, but just found out, she pretended to live alone in the property and effectively claimed council tax discount. Now, I'm concerned, should I inform the council about this? I'm moving to another property and don't want to be accused of council tax evasion.

Can you help please?

Thanks for your reply:).

I've transferred the money every month from my account, so hope that's good enough proof.

Not unless you have anything in writing re: your basic rent, bills to be paid, etc.

Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie.;)

But the choice is yours.

Edited by TheChancellor
spelling

Hi,

Do you have anything in writing from your landlady confirming that you had to pay these payments into her account ?

Did you pay by cheque/ credit card / debit card etc ?

If you have this kind of proof, then by all means contact your council tax office.

Council tax laws apply mainly to the person whose property it is.

When you move to another property, you may need to complete forms for the council tax dept, and when you begin sending them in, there are going to be a few questions asked, particularly when you mention the last place you lived in.

At the end of the day you have done nothing wrong, but the emphasis is going to be on your ability to prove it.

Edited by bazak1

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Unfortunately, it hasn't been confirmed in writing, never occured to me, I would have this problem. I did pay her by bank transfers with a council tax reference, so that might be some kind of proof, I hope.

You have nothing to worry about, she was the landlord living at the address, you paid her directly for everything, if she was claiming single persons allowance, that is a criminal offence, you are not liable, did you register on the electoral register at this address?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed