style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About three years ago my father died. My mother ended up inheriting just over £100k.

As we were unsure of the best way to use this money we went to see a financial advisor at the derbyshire building society. We were advised to set up an investment with axa. Part of the investment being a distribution fund. The rest being in other smaller funds. Having been shown lots of very impressive figures we decided, with some trepidation, to go ahead with it. The goal being to try to make an income for my mother to live on, as this is the only money she has.

We were made aware that there was some risk associated with the distribution fund and that shares fluctuate in value.

The other parts of the investment were pitched to us as being very safe and reliable.

Our 'attitude to risk' was assessed and it was said to be medium, but that we would be 'uncomfortable' to see any significant loss of money.

After the first year we started to become worried as the investment had made no money. Another visit to the adviser and he seemed unconcerned and suggested moving some of the funds to other ones. We duly did this, at a cost of over £1000.

Now, another year on the investment is woth less than £90k.

In fact it has plummeted £4k in the last few days.

Very dissapointingly it seems the 'safe' part of the investment is losing just as much money as the 'risky'.

My question is this: What on Earth do we do?

There are penalties of 8% for taking the money out, this goes down to 5 in december. Frankly we are panicking. I really cant see how this is ever going to make any money at all. Do we take the money out now or in december or try to stick with it?

I can't help feeling rather misled by all this.

Hope someone can help!

As you were advised at the time that shares can go up and down I do not see how you can feel misled.

You asked for advice regarding 'medium risk' investments and that was presumably what you got.

Nobody can ever truly say what will rise and what will fall in value, however, if your portfolio consisted of what had previously been shown to be 'medium risk' then I do not see how you have any come-back.

Shares are a long term investment, they go in cycles, sometimes up sometimes down, a bit like property prices (usually they go up but every now and again they crash).

Nobody can tell you what to do, if it was me I would take a look at exactly what the portfolio consisted of and ask myself will that Company (or Companies) go bankrupt, if I didn't think they would then unless I needed the money I would leave it and hope they picked up.

If everybody sells shares right now that will only depress share values even further which helps nobody.

Mossy

Thanks for the reply Mossy.

The reason we feel misled is that as far as we understood things only half of this investment (the distribution fund) was stocks and shares. The rest of the money was supposed to be safe and generating a steady income. Had we realised that the whole thing was stocks and shares related there is no way we would have gone ahead with the investment.

As for looking at the companies involved and deciding what ones will go bankrupt, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Neither myself or my Mother are financial experts, thats why we sought the help of a financial advisor in the first place.

Chris

Chris

not to step on Mossy's fine advice, but I thought that I would add that investments are generally seen to follow these risks:

Type - Risk - Return

Cash - Very Low - Sod All

Bonds - Low - Almost Sod All

Property - Low - Usually decent over the long term

UK Shares - Medium - Decent

US/Europe Shares - Medium to High - Pretty Good

Asian Shares - High - Excellent

Now you might notice the bugbear in there - property. Property is seen as low risk (because we all need houses and bricks and mortar can't go bankrupt), and has over the last 10 years delivered a very good return. Many medium risk portfolios will carry a reasonable amount of property in them to counter the risk of US/EU shares. The problem is that low risk is not zero risk.

The only consolation I can offer is that with the current economic conditions there are a lot of people in a lot worse condition than you. If your investment hasn't been screwed by the last few days then you might want to switch it to something safer, or you might want to ride the storm.

If I were you I would go to an Independent Financial Advisor ASAP. Even if it costs you £1k you could end up losing a lot more if you just let the cash sit there.