Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder donna bradley Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jul 2006

Default 0905 premium rate number harrassment

Does anyone know if any thing can be done about phone callsicon and sms messages which start with 0905? I have received text messages from a guy claiming to be from Turkey and evening phone callsicon. Also do you get charged for these messages and calls ? And how can I find out where these people found my mobile phone number?
    I would be grateful if any one could throw some light on this matter.

Similar Threads:

Basic Account Holder TheChancellor Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2008

Default Re: 0905 premium rate number harrassment

Put the full number up or have a look on saynoto0870.com as a start.

Cagger since
    Jul 2006

Thank you for replying The Chancellor, I will do that. I was also thinking of calling the number tomorrow from a landline and asking them who they are and how they got my mobile number. I have also thought about going down the data protection line and getting in touch with Ofcom.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

It still costs a premium rate from a land line! Ring them is what they want!

If the calls are from Turkey, then neither the DPA nor OfCOM have any authority (unless it is a subsidiary of a UK company.

You say that the 'guy' is from Turkey; does he no say anything or tell you why he is calling? Can you not act on this?

I think more detail is required here.

Cagger since
    Jul 2008

I agree with PD - don't phone them as the numbers charge upto 1.50/minute.

No doubt they will give you the run-round for 10 mins whilst you are calling.They probably use auto dialers of every number combination until they hit one which dials & then log this as a "live" number.

Basic Account Holder Sandy Mutch Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2008

The text says " Hi . I . Ali from Turkey. I love you. Come to Turkey.You marry me X. "
    I have ignored both text message and phone callsicon and I have added this 0905 number to my auto reject list.
    I did some research last night and you are right it could be an automatic dialling facility. And when you actually reply or text back you are in effect agreeing to their terms and conditions. How wrong is that ? !!
    I have checked my vodafoneicon account and no charges have appeared as yet. I think I will leave well enough alone and hope that who / whatever it is ,gets fed up.
    Thank you both for your help. Sorry it is Donna I am logged on as my mum !

Cagger since
    Jul 2008

Ask him if he has got a sister pmsl.:grin:

Turkey sounds very appealing at the minute but I haven't got the quid-fifty to phone him let alone the price of the flighticon.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative patdavies Authoritative

Cagger since
    Aug 2006

Contact your service provider and inform them that you are getting harassing messages and calls form this number. they should then act to block it.

Cagger since
    Jul 2006

Well I called vodafoneicon and they were extremely helpful. They have given me a pay as you go sim card which I can insert into my previous recently used phone.
    I will then have a brand new number which I can give to family only... allowing me to switch off my 'harassed' phone in the evenings. I did incur a charge of 1.52 on my phone bill from the Turkey number, i think i dialed it when i was trying to delete it, so you have to be very careful.
    Thank you both for your help.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE