Beko Fridge Freezer Died

Soad
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent this email to Beko

I purchased exactly 2 years ago (to the day actually) from my local Comet a BEKO fridge freezer

Yesterday it started making loud gurgling noises in the morning now the fridge is warm and the freezer is not working and defrosted and thus destroying the contents

As this looks as if it is either ceasing to function correctly and is probably uneconomical to repair what can you offer me under the sale of goods act 1979

I did not purchase any extra warranty as one expects an appliance to last more than 12 months as under the sale of goods act a product is expected to last for a reasonable amount of time

And got this reply

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear of the problem with your Beko Fridge Freezer.

The Beko warranty covers repair costs carried out by an authorised Beko engineer within the first 12 months of purchase. Unfortunately as your appliance was purchased in 2006 this is not something that we can help with financially.

Unfortunately it is virtually impossible to diagnose what the fault is on any of our appliance with out actually inspecting them first. You can contact the engineer that we contract out to repair our appliances under warranty on telephone number.

(I bet this would be chargeable to me)

Your contract of sale is with the retailer from whom you purchased the appliance and any further assistance will need to be directed to the retailer.

Kind regards

I then called Comet customer services and explained this to them and they said they would have to send an engineer at a charge of £30.00 just to confirm its not working correctly.

I don’t want to waste £30.00 just for Comet to says your fridge is not working that’s obvious,

What about the small claims courts route I think that’s about £30.00

Any help or advice appreciated

I bought a Beko Fridge Freezer 4 years ago and I thought mine died on me a couple of weeks ago... gurgling noises, freeze started to defrost, etc. But it came alive again and has been working fine since (fingers crossed). I know this doesn't offer you any help, but maybe a little hope!:)

Hi I have a beko fridge freezer did the same thing the next door neighbor is a service engineer for Hotpoint he had a look and said that the floor the freezer was standing on was not level and to move the freezer away form wall 2cm and leave switched off for 24 hours then switch back on. He said that the auto defrost pipe on the back was pinched by contact with the wall and had frozen. We did as he said it worked ok then.

dpick

That sounds like a good idea to try - Beko's are supposedly a good brand to buy and you would expect their goods to last longer. Another thing to try is the drainage hole in your fridge. It might be blocked and you may need to clear it out.

Beko are actually a budget brand, though I have no trouble with mine. One thing to bear in mind with many fridge freezers is that, surprisingly, you can actually locate them in an area that is too cold!!

This happens in cheaper models with only one compressor and one thermostat (located in the fridge section). For example some people put them in a garage or outbuilding. If the room temperature is between, say 5-10 centigrade, the compressor rarely runs and the freezer contents therefore warm up too much!

No problem. What happens is that cheap fridge freezers have only one compressor and one thermostat which serves the fridge and the freezer sections simultaneously. (More expensive models have two compressors and two thermostats - one for each section and don't suffer this effect).

The thermostat is located in the fridge. If the room temperature is, say 5 degrees centigrade (Think garage in winter time) then the compressor won't run because the fridge will already be cool enough. Unfortunately, this means that the freezer section will not receive any cooling either. The result is that the freezer, which should be around -20 degrees can warm up. In winter, this can lead to the freezer contents spoiling.

In an ordinary room, where the temperature is, say 19 degrees, then the thermostat will make the compressor run to cool down the fridge. At the same time, the freezer will be cooled. In this case, the compressor runs long enough to keep the freezer at -20 or so.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but it does mean that the room can be too cold for a fridge freezer to run properly. Hope I explained that well enough :)

• Haha 1

What quite often happens is that the evaporator is iced up resticting the air flow past it, you cant see the evap because its hidden behind a panel, you can fix it quickly by removing said panel and using a hairdryer or something to melt the ice, or leave it switched off with the door open for 3-4 days.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

• 7 months later...

Best bet is to go with the comet offer and if as suspected broke and everything else being ok; no mis use and sited correctly then they should offer you a discount on a new one. You will not be entitled to replacement, and I think discount would be better than a repair, as Sale of goods act etc.

• 3 months later...

Our Beko fridge freezer is only 16 months old and has stopped freezing things properly. Icecream is the worst thing. I spoke with an engineer today who has advised that maybe something has frozen up although it is a frost fee unit.

He told me to defrost the unit for 48 hours to see if that helps..... i'm hoping it does !

Hope this may be of help to someone who is also having problems.:)

• 4 months later...

I purchased a Beko Frost Free Fridge freezer model CA5411FFS in September 2004 from Comet. After 11 months it all freezed behind the the back panel in the freezer unit. Fixed under the 1 year waranty,needing a new thermostat. The same thing happened again some months later. Beko kindly sent me a free thermostat which I fitted myself. In 2007 the fridge failed completely. The engineer said I needed a new compressor. I complained to Beko again and they sent me a new compressor free but I had to pay to install it- cost £76. The next April 2008, I found water dripping onto an electrical junction box at the back causing sparks and smoking. It could have resulted in a very hazardas event. Beko replaced the fridge/freezer (model CDA539FS ) free of charge for obvious reasons, coming with a years guarantee. I noticed with this new model the sais junction box had been located in a safer position. Now the new one has stopped working completely after 20 months. There was no icing up just everything shut down apart from a small ticking noise from the now cold compressor. Sounds like this unit has packed up.The fridge is level and in a warm kitchen. I'd heard about the EU law stating goods should have minimum two year guarantee and contacted Beko. They said it only applied to retail sales and they were a manufacturer but I stated they supplied it direct to me so they acted as a retailer under this legislation. This cut no ice with them and said they could not assist further. Can anyone give me advice on both matters please?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Any suggestions, have a 2 year old Beko Fridge/freezer CDA752FS auto frost, problem is fridge is getting too cold and freezing everything, even on lower settings. I thought I would try replacement of thermostat which is in fridge but was not able to work out where exactly the coil end should go, as it exits of the fridge, and I am wondering if I have to take the back off the unit. Recently widowed so am trying to save money by diy, living in rural wales haven't really got any male neighbours to ask for assistance. Do you think the thermostat is the problem in this case? any comments would be appreciate, thanks in advance