Council Tax problems - forcing bankruptcy - lawyer recommendations?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im writing this on behalf of my father. He has been havign Council Tax issues for years. he owns a few properties and instead of chasing up the tenants int hos eproperties, the Council has wrongfully charged my father for the council tax. In the last year he has paid approx 80,000 and they have now hit him with another 80,000 for next year. They have started bankruptcy proceedings and so he cant get a loan. Obviously he doesnt have that much money lying around.

Has anyone taken Council to court? And if so, where did you find a lawyer? This is in Scotland. Most lawyers are refusing to take the case. Others are too expensive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The court has given him 6 weeks to come up with the money.

If he is named as the liable party then he is legally responsible for providing the council with proof he was not liable for the period in question - if he had tenants in the property then he needs to provide the tenancy agreements to the council ASAP.

Thanks. Have tried to provide proof. They are not willing to look at it. We have taken in leases and all our records of who was staying in each house at the time. They didnt even look.

What else to do?

• 2 years later...

Don't know who you have talked to but you could try going higher up like the Director of the Service or even the Chief Exec's office. You could also try one of the local Councillors or MP and ask them to submit an enquiry on your behalf.

I don't know that I understand how they are hitting him for £80,000 for next year. The charge won't be decided until February and bills go out after that. Are your father's tenants renting individual rooms or entire properties? If they are only renting rooms then the properties will be deemed to be homes in multiple occupation in which case your father would be liable for the Council tax.