threatening letter re council tax reminders

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I pay my council tax via debit card, I admit to always being late (i.e. I need a reminder before I pay). I have never ever failed to make a payment, however our council (bury-uk) operate a three reminder system in which after 3 reminders for seperate payments the full outstanding amount is demanded. They threaten legal action and the full payment within 7 days else a court summons will appear and I have to pay the costs. Can I challenge this? Can they make me pay the costs? Is this all just hot air on their part?

Thanks in advance

our council (bury-uk) operate a three reminder system in which after 3 reminders for seperate payments the full outstanding amount is demanded. They threaten legal action and the full payment within 7 days else a court summons will appear and I have to pay the costs. Can I challenge this? Can they make me pay the costs? Is this all just hot air on their part?

Most councils operate a similar option to pay by 10 instalments, which is a concession and not a legal requirment and is usually withdrawn after 2/3 late payments. The rest is not hot air.

3 reminders - that's generous, we only get one here (I think). If paying all of right now is financially difficult try calling them up and seeing if you can come to some arrangement. Break that and you will be in hot water.

I thought all councils could arrange to collect by d/d or s/o on a choice of 2 different dates at least (15th or 28th of each month) which is what I do now so I don't have to worry about it.

Edited by sallysas
deletion

3 reminders would be a 1st reminder, 2nd reminder and final notice. This is a statutory requirement and cannot be varied . You only get 1 reminder per default, if you pay within 7 days then miss another payment you would get a 2nd reminder. Pay that within 7 days and then miss a 3rd payment and you would get a final notice.

At any stage if you do not pay the reminder within 7 days then a summons would be issued.