A very Nice site indeed with the help of number 10 lol

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya All

I got a reply today from the number 10 petition site to a petition I signed a while ago.

It was a petition to pay family members carers allowance it went on about carer premium of pension credit so i typed that into my search and came up with a very good site called carers UK.

On that site it explains about council tax discounts etc which i have never claimed and should of mum in law gets DLA AND AA higher rate and turns out we should of had a 50% discount since 1993 when council tax was introduced mmmm loverly juberly 15 yrs been over paying my wife gets carers allowance but we are both carers to my mum in law i.e shes cares in day time and i do evenings and weekends so we are both disregarded

Now working it out roughly lowest we have paid each year is £800 so i work that out at about £6000 at least not bad for couple hours work

And i also read the government act on council tax and we do not have to say why we did not claim it before but was a simple reason just did not know or understand the council tax system it was only when i read this site which explains in layman's terms that i realized.

So off footing it down to council offices on monday for me also says in the act it has to be dealt with within two weeks from applying.

Some Links below to some useful templates.

Standard letter to apply for help with Council Tax Discount

You can use this to apply for council tax discount. Simply fill in the gaps with your own details. If you are unsure how to set it out - please download the other letter which has examples.

icon_word.gifDownload (19.97 Kb)

Council Tax request letter with examples

This is an example of the council tax letter with the details of a ficticious family included, so you can see how to set the letter out.

icon_word.gifDownload (19.97 Kb)

Standard letter if backdating is refused

You can use this letter if the Local Authority have agreed to the discount but have not backdated it to the earliest possible date from which it could be received. You will need to add your own details, the level of discount that applies to you and the date to which you think the discount can be backdated. We suggest that you also send the Local Authority a copy of the legistation - which is also below.

icon_word.gifDownload (20.48 Kb)

Legislation on granting discounts

icon_word.gifDownload (27.65 Kb)

Edited by pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

• 9 months later...

just bumping this up again as im sure it will apply to many

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.