Flatmate never paid council tax. Am I liable?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5666 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had a flatmate who has recently done a vanishing act on me and i no long know where he is.

Every month I gave him money to pay all the bills and I assumed everything was up to date.

Since he vanished I have had loads of red letters through the post and it turns out he just kept my money every month and hid all the bills before I saw them.

I have now had a baliffs letter stating I have £800 in council tax arrears. I will be contacting the council monday morning to try and arrange to pay them direct.

I am wondering though if I am liable for all the council tax as my flatmate was on the letters but I don't know where he is. Do I have to pay everything?

Please help.

Thank you

hiya

just wanted to say hi, and for you not to think that no one had read your message,

im not too hot on the topic, but when you say that your flatmate was on the letters how do you mean, is the flat a council run flat or private?

im just asking so that others will know that info too when you reply and can get better info to you

as it appears you gave him the monthly money to pay the bills, can you prove how you paid him ie via a sto from your bank to his? did you have any written agreement?

im just thinking of these things but as you are going to contact the council, i hope other people will come on to help you over the weekend

only other thing i can suggest is contact say nationaldebtline who i use a lot for verifying stuff too

but im sure someone will come along soon to help you with more relevant info

good luck ciao for now maz

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

As the joint tenant of the property you are legally jointly liable for all Council Tax due on the property whilst you held the tenancy however if you have never been billed then the council cannot chase you for the debt - if your name appears on the demand notice as a liable party then you are liable.

You would qualify for 25% reduction if you are the only adult living there. If you are on a low income you might get a better reduction based on income. If your flatmate moved out within a month of today you can ask for the benefit to be backdated. If it was longer than a month any claim dates from the Monday after you apply - so not 2 days hence but Monday 29 September.