Council Tax Charges - One to ponder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5695 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I hope this subjet hasn't already been covered elsewhere. I cannot find it anywhere, so I apologise if this has already been looked at.

We are all familiar with the Bank Charges Issue. well I have often wondered if these same principals cannot be used to challenge Local Authorities for the charges they apply to late payers of Council Tax. I was recently charged £40 by my LA for late payment, this was all done by computer generated letter and when I rang up to complain I was informed by the operative that thousands of these 'Charges' letters go out every week. That really wound me up as this excessive charge is often applied onto people who are genuinely struggling meeting all their bills and £40 is a lot of money.

So my question is:- Can I challenge my Local Authority over the exessive 'charge' for my late Council Tax payment?

Not heard that one before, my local authority don't currently charge for late payment.

Not sure if this could be challenged in the same way as it is a tax rather than a charge under an agreement that can be challenged in court.

But I am sure others will be along soon to advise.

Ali x

Btw I am no expert just give notes based on what I have read on here and other forums/sites, plus my own experiences and investigations.

All ccj's now dropped off file, 2 yrs to go to clear file.

All old debts either settled or made unenforcable.

RBS MPP-Full offer at 8 wks from first complaint

RBS Overdraft loanguard-full offer at 8 wks from complaint

Citicard ppi-with FOS finally paid 8 months after offer through FOS!

Capital one x2- with FOS

Monument ppi-with FOS

aqua x2 ppi-partialled settled still pushing for the rest

Black horse ppi-offers made and accepted except for one early loan they say no info held-still pushing for payment

that is wrong SS i have been charged before which i can prove as i have one bill they sent me then 2 weeks later i had another which had increased by £30

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

nope ive never been summoned only had 1 reminder before but it now turns out ive paid way to much

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/local-authority-council-tax/160780-very-nice-site-indeed.html

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.