Council Tax bill for 3months in 2005

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear all,

I moved into a one bed flat on 1st September 2003 until November 2006. I have always been exempted from council Tax being a student. I finished college in June 2005 and started university for a 3 year course in August 2005. Recently Harringey Council has been claiming council taxes from me for my "holiday periods" but I kept on challenging the charges with them until today when they called me and say they will now only send me a bill for the 3months between the time I had finished college i.e. June 2005 and started university i.e. September 2005.

Can they do that now?

Officially during this period, you were NOT a student. Hence student exemption does NOT apply.

As bein unemployed(I assume?) during this period, you would have been entitled to Council Tax Benefit in some respect(although I doubt you can "backclaim" this).

You say you had a student visa - are you a foreign national?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Sorry - I lie!!

How old were you during this period in 2005?

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Ah OK. In that case council tax is payable for that period AFAIK - unsure of council tax status to do with foreign nationals, this would be your basis(if any) for not paying this bill.

Yes. But I do not know if the foreign national status will allow it to be excluded. But technically at that time you were not a student, so student exemption is not relevant.