Child tax credit with joint custody

picklefactory
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Only been in the forum for 2 days and 2nd thread already!!

OK, I might just be getting confirmation here, but am I right in thinking only one parent can claim Child Tax Credits? I have 50% custody of my 11 yo son, which was, fortunateley, never contested in the otherwise bitter and twisted divorce that I've just completed a few weeks ago. Ex-wife has been claiming it for that past 2 years that we have been seperated and I let that go as there were far more important things to worry about. It is true 50% custody, so neither parent can clearly show status of having main responsibility. Is my only option (Which I don't want to do) that of contesting her claim?

It seems ridiculous that the system seems incable of dealing with this sort of situation, I can't be the only person in the UK with this issue.

Any insight?

No - you cannot contest her claim and CTC can only be paid to one person. The attached gives more information: Entitlement: CTC entitlement

You don`t indicate if your ex-wife is likely to relinquish it - could you come to an agreement ?. If you claim yourself a decision will have to be made as to who the main carer is and whoever it goes against will have the right of appeal.

Thanks James

Thought as much. No, I really don't think she would relinquish it and we never agree on anything. Pretty poor system really (Surprise, surprise), there must be many people in similar position where there is no main carer. Oh well! It's not worth much anyway, not worth the grief of fighting for it.

Cheers

The system isn't at all well designed to accommodate shared care. One parent gets all the benefits. This then gives them the right to claim child support from the other. (It should be the other way around, i.e. they should have to share the benefits.)

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

There is a way around it, but it involves discussion with your ex, and many calls to the Tax Credit office:

In theory, only one person is deemed responsible for a child, and yes, only one person can claim in this respect. What you need to agree with your ex, if possible, is that you alternate responsibility every six months.

If she is amenable to this, then on the dates agreed between you, she needs to call TC, and 'end responsibility' (known as date of responsibility) and at the same time you need to also call, add the children to your claim, and 'start responsibility'

You also need to remember that Child Benefit will need to be included in this process, because if they are not, then verification failures will occur, and the claim (for either parent) will be held up.

It is very messy, and really convoluted, but if the children spend a six-month block of time with each parent, then this is a viable option. If, on the other hand, they spend something akin to alternate weeks with you both, then it may be easier for her to agree to split the money with you 50/50.

Ultimately, the decision about responsibility lies in the legal definitions, and if she is either awkward or unaccommodating, then it may be easier to just accept the situation as bad luck.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks Spiceskull

A very clear bit of info. Unfortunately, there is no way she would be that accommodating, or even consider giving up any benefits. She fought tooth and nail to get every last penny she could from me. Also our custody arrangement is on a daily basis, we both have our son 4 days one week and 3 the next, but that is immaterial in my case due to her inherent greed.

I think it's just less stressful to accept the bad luck.

Thanks all for the information.

Edited by picklefactory
Typo

Sorry to hear that - yes, the benefits system in general is inherrently unfair in circumstances such as these, and they are quite common. It would be nice to believe that the system would recognise all combinations of household status, and perhaps one day they will...but it will take a massive amount of lobbying to effect change on that scale, because it would need to apply to pretty much every level and every department within government...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.