Council Tax - a few questions.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5684 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Reading the intro it seems I'm not supposed to post about this here but also seems many others have ? Hope it's the right place then - apologies if not.

ya know what, i think i'll start with just one question - to keep it simple.

If I have received a liability order (since dealt with so no worries) does that entitle the Council to cancel my single occupant allowance. The order itself was for 100% rather than the applicable 75%. Is that right? Sorry if a dumb question. They are still asking for the full 100% without discount (no rush cos i've paid some).

I'd rather ask here than ask them because they never seem to get any figures right - probably automated stuff - but all nonsense so far this year.

May be a few days before I can give more detail to respondents - just think it's polite to say that.

Thanks.

No they can't cancel your discount. It's not something they decide to give you because they are nice people (you already know they are not), it is an entitlement and can only be taken away if your circumstances have change.

You normally only have a month to appeal, so you should treat this as a refusal to give a discount and make an appeal asap.

I may have left it too late then - same reason I was behind in the first place - health issue.

I had thought that the 100% might have been applied because I had been late in paying. Seems not then. I had previously been getting the discount so would the same necessity and timescale for an appeal apply?

I may be pushing my luck now but worth asking. In effect then, it seems they took me to court for the wrong amount. Would that be grounds for trying to reclaim the not insignificant £75- charge for the Liability Order?

-

Thanks, people. I do appreciate the help.

-

my daughter was three months behind with council tax,she paid two months and was makeing regular payments but they still took her to court for liability and sent bailiffes round,she said why bailiffes when she was paying,they said they could not stop it,the bailiffes have added £200 to the bill,the council tax has been settled but they said she will still have bailiffes charges,the bailiffes charges were only worked out by what her final bill was,not on a seperate bill,her second argument was why were they sending bailiffes around and pursueing a bill for council tax when it was for time she had not lived in the property yet,as council tax is in advance.

joyce