style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5689 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I paid my council tax by cash but didn't get a receipt and the council demands I pay it again as they have no record of it. I know I paid it because I have the memory of being there paying it and corroborating memories, and I have written memoranda, which I made to remind myself to pay it, and after I had paid it, that I had, and later when I discovered I had no receipt, to go and get one. Has anyone got experience of this?

It may sound a strange thing to do birdsong, but report it to the police as a suspected theft.

Then write to the council chief cashier and report that you believe there has been a theft and quote the log number the police gave you.

This will make them sit up and go and look for your payment.

Thank you conniff. I have been advised by a solicitor that it is a very serious matter to accuse the council of such mismanagement or misappropriation. Would I not be liable to prosecution if unable to conclusively prove my claim? I am currently at stage two of the council's internal investigation so I know they are not going to find any record, but I am persevering so I can put my case to the ombudsman at stage four.

You say you paid and they say you didn't. If you did pay then it is misappropriation or mismanagement, what else can you call it?

If it can't be found, it hasn't walked out the door on it's own.