Inland Revenue tax investigation advice needed

aki
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I couldn’t find a relevant section relating to my query so I posted it in this section?

I have been the subject of a random Inland Revenue tax investigation recently where they have discovered that I made a sizable cash deposit into my personal account approximately 4 years ago. At that time I was in the process of purchasing a house. As it would have been my first house I didn’t have enough money to pay for the deposit. Therefore I borrowed money from friends & family and combined it with my own personal savings, which I then deposited into my account. Unfortunately the house deal fell through. As I no longer needed the money I simply withdrew it from my account and gave it back to the people I borrowed it from.

The Inland Revenue asked that I provide information as to how I acquired this money? I gave details of the people who I borrowed the money from to the Inland Revenue, but they do not seem to accept this as I can’t show a paper trail (because it was a cash deposit).

Now in this type of investigation is it a case of 'guilty until proven innocent', whereby I have to prove to the Inland Revenue where the money came from? Or is the onus on the Inland Revenue to prove me wrong with evidence to the contrary?

I’m just looking for a little advice as to where I stand legally on this matter and what my rights are?

Thanks

Aki