Council Tax Discount

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5697 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

I apparently am entitled to a 25% reduction in my council tax. I work full time but am entitled to a reduction as a single person.

In January last year, I informed my local council of my new status as a single person, they sent me a form to complete which I completed and returned by hand, along with copies of letters from my solicitors and the court against my ex partner to prove I was single (very messy break up). I took my two free months at the beginning of the finaincial year, in the hope that my claim would be sorted out by then. After this two months, they passed it to a collection agency, which I pay every month to. They never did sort my discount out, but I was informed during a telephone conversation that as it had now gone to debt collection, they couldn't take it back and I'd get a further discount they following year.

The council tax bill for this year arrived and my discount had not been applied as promised. I rang the council up, they stated that there was a note on the computer detailing my call in January last year advising them of my single status and that a form had been sent out to me for completion but nothing since. I advised the lady of my return of the form and the copied letters. She sentme a new form along with an attached form which I had to get a "professional person" to complete - the sort of professional person I would have to pay to complete it! I completed the form alone, and again enclosed copies of solicitors letters, and again took the two beginning months as my free months, hoping it would be sorted.

I received a letter informing me it was going to debt collection if I didn't pay immediately. I paid online and then rang the council to ask what stage they were at with my claim. Yep, you guessed it, they deny all knowledge. Never recieved it. The guy states there is a backlog and hopefully they will soon find my claim. It's now been 18 months in total and still I am paying the full amount, and they have "not recieved" my form. They are also not fulfilling their council tax duties. My brown garden bin has not been collected on two occasions and three times I had to ring to have a bulk item lifted. They confirmed three times they would lift it and didn't, so I asked someone I knew to take it to the dump.

What do I do about getting my discount, when they refuse to acknowlegde my form? And if they do acknowledge it, it will only be backdated three months. I appreciate things sometimes go missing, but twice from the same customer?

Question: Why do dI have to prove I live alone via a statement from a third party? They clearly know I live alone, seeing as it is now only my name that appears on the council tax bill, and I can evidence I live alone through my bills, rent and tax credits.

I don't know how to address this.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Hi

Im sorry youve had so many problems with this. I just filled out the form and it was done!

It might be worth going to your local Councillor with a list of everything they have mucked up on and getting them to sort it for you! In some Councils if the Councillors come to them with a complaint its usually sorted out quicker as they do like to make a nuisance of themself!!

HTH

FBD :D

Fatboydukey (FBD) = my big fat ginger tom :DI am of the fairer sex :razz:

HSBC - FBD 1st claim Bank charges Jan 07 = success

HSBC - FBD 2nd claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds - mums claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds PPI - mums claim June 08 = Got back PPI now fighting for interest

Citi loan PPI - FBD June 08 = WON!!!!

Citi cards - FBD Credit card charges June 08 = ongoing

Skycard - FBD Credit card charges - WON!!!

Kays - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = ongoing = told Moorcroft where to go and they went!!!!!

Studio - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = WON!!!!!!