Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basic Account Holder ian-d Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Aug 2008

Default Parking Charge Notice From Parking Eye

Hi all, new to the forum no doubt like many others when they do a google search for advice on parking tickets!

I've today received a parking chargeicon notice from parking eyeicon, requesting payment of 80 or 50 if paid in next 14 days.

They have sent the notice to me as the registered keeper, and I was driving, although obviously the letter doesn't offer any proof of this but photographic evidence may!

The charge is for parking in B&Q Crewe before hoping on the train to Manchester, so was over the 3 hour limit by 4 hours (09:50 til 16:59).

I accept that it was me driving, I'd also accept that I was parked there that long, but its not a busy car park on a weekend (it was Saturday) and I'm reluctant to pay such a large charge for very little.

What would you suggest I do, I don't really want to keep receiving letters from them, nor from any solicitors, and certainly don't want a black mark against my name/credit, or someone turning up at the door.

If I ignoreicon will they really go away, or just increase the charge and eventually take it to court.

I have no financial problems, I could pay it to avoid hassle, but thats not really the point is it? I just can't spend much time on this, as I'm busy enough already!

Please help.

Similar Threads:

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative

Cagger since
    Apr 2008

Default Re: Parking Charge Notice From Parking Eye

how much time and effort does it take to ignoreicon the rubbish that they send out ? ?

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

Private companies cannot issue 'fines'. You have just received an unenforcable invoice.

It's a [problem].

• do not pay
    • do not contact them
    ignoreicon all letters you receive, no matter how threatening
    ignoreicon all their lies about court costs, CCJs and owner liability
    • they will go away after 5 or 6 letters
    • they will not go to court

These companies make their money by scaring people into paying when they don't have to. If they can scare 50% of people into paying with a few letters, it's a good business to be in.

parking eyeicon are well known here. They just send a few letters and then give up.

Cagger since
    Aug 2008

So with such a bad reputation why do companies as large as B&Q employ their services?

What makes companies like these any different from council owed parking companies conducting the same practises?

I have no problem with paying for the use of their car park, after all, I did use it to get a train elsewhere, and was over their allowed time by 4 hours, but I'd prefer a reasonable charge, say of 10 (what it would have cost me to park in the train station car park or in manchester itself), therefore I'm not willing to pay 50!

In their letter they have used the following words/wording which I'd class as either intimidation, or giving the illusion of legal:

"You are required to pay..."
    "Breach of the terms and conditions..."
    "We are happy to provide parking facilities for legitimate customers..."
    "legal proceedings may be issued against you..."
    "Your possessions being seized"
    "If you are unable to pay the debt..."

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Barnsley Boy Novitiate Barnsley Boy Novitiate

Cagger since
    Oct 2007

ian-d

The 60 may not be that much to you but it is very important to parking eyeicon. Multiplied by the number of tickets by the number of different sites, it is a multi million pound business. They do not have the statutory powers that councils have so try to compensate by aping the council paperwork and add to the mix by making all sorts of outrageous claims of their own.

Their claims have no basis in law but that in itself will not stop them making them. You have a simple choice, either accept the minor annoyance of receiving 5 or 6 letters which you don't have to answer or pay a completely unjustified 60 to a bunch of latter day dick turpins.

Remember any "moral" issues you may have would be with B&Q not parking eyeicon. It is not Parking Eye's store, it is not their land, why should they benefit at all?

Cagger since
    Oct 2007

doh - wrong thread

Cagger since
    Aug 2008

haha, was wondering what you were talking about before removing it

Well I guess I'll leave it be then, see how many letters they send me, here's hoping no one has ever been taken to court.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative lamma Highly informative

Cagger since
    Apr 2008

some of us want to get real court papers from one of these outfits....

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

So with such a bad reputation why do companies as large as B&Q employ their services?

What makes companies like these any different from council owed parking companies conducting the same practises?
    Ignorance or profiteering usually. B&Q either won't have a clue about the legality of the ticketing system, or they know full well and are happy to take a cut out of each ticket.

As well as raking in their ill gotten gains, private parking companies pitch to gain new business and will present themselves as solving all your car parking problems. They usually gloss over the legality of charging penalties, or twist the law to make themselves sound legit.

The Co-op are probably the worst. Despite their 'ethical' image, they love to employ parking companies who rip people off.

As for local authorities, they have statutes in law which legitimately allows them to charge fines.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    letshelp Informative letshelp Informative letshelp's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2008
    I am in
    hell

Hi Ian and welcome,

You could always wait until they spend their 2.50 with the DVLA to get the registered keepers details, and then simply send them a letter telling them, 'to take the matter up with the driver'. Information which of course you are not obliged to provide.
    regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

Or you do the easy thing and save a stamp by never ever contacting them.

Cagger since
    Aug 2008

I didn't go anything in the end and no surprises have not heard from them, I atleast expected a second letter to feel the satisfaction of knowing they've wasted more money pursuing me.

Is it still a little early to expect nothing more from them (3 weeks) or can I look forward to the second letter soon?

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

It was 6 months between the ticket and the first letter with the PPC I'm dealing with at the moment.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    letshelp Informative letshelp Informative letshelp's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2008
    I am in
    hell

Hi Al,
    How did your 'appeal' go?

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Al27 View Post
    It was 6 months between the ticket and the first letter with the PPC I'm dealing with at the moment.
    Wow! And there was me thinking that as it is 14 weeks since I got my invoice and still no "Letter to RK" that mine had died an instant death. Seems I have a fair few weeks to wait as yet.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

Mine was from one of these 'buy-it-yourself ticketing schemes'. You pay 99 for some tickets, dodgy signage and fraudulent yellow PVC envelopes and send the details of who you've caught to the parking company. Then you get a cut of any tickets that pay up.

The man who was playing traffic warden must have been slow to get his tickets in, in my case!

Cagger since
    Aug 2008

Well, they finally got in touch, but not parkingeyeicon, it's a letter from CCSCollect, requesting that I must pay the debt immediately, and that it's now 110.

They go on to say that they may pursue this matter through the appropriate legal channels, and that if I ignoreicon them, a bailiff may attend your address, to remove goods.

Is that still a 'run-of-the-mill' response? Still ignoreicon then?

Basic Account Holder Duke916 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2008

Quote Originally Posted by lamma View Post
    some of us want to get real court papers from one of these outfits....
    Your bang on there Lamma, I want Simplex to take me to court, oh what fun it would be, especailly after the Dept Collectors letter I recevied today!

Ian-d, it might be worth you reading my experiences, mine started in Mar 08, still ongoing, but nothing at all for me to worry about.

Cagger since
    Oct 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ian-d View Post
    Well, they finally got in touch, but not parkingeyeicon, it's a letter from CCSCollect, requesting that I must pay the debt immediately, and that it's now 110.

They go on to say that they may pursue this matter through the appropriate legal channels, and that if I ignoreicon them, a bailiff may attend your address, to remove goods.

Is that still a 'run-of-the-mill' response? Still ignoreicon then?
    Yes, it is completely run of the mill, continue to ignore everything short of actual court papers.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Apr 2008

seeing a lot more of these clearly deliberately misleading letters now. I wonder of the PPC hit rate is falling ( ) and they are getting so desperate that they sinking even further into unlawfulness ? There are a lot of SUN readers aren't there ? so a couple of million ( ? ) extra people just found out about the PPC 'game'.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE