• Tweets

• Hi Lolerz Thanks for replying to me, yes I've been ignoring her & will continue to do so. All she keeps saying is they want to come up with an amicable settlement. Keeps saying this to our receptionist she shouldn't be saying this to a receptionist or even me in the first place as they have given no proof of anything no IP addresses noting just keeps saying about an amicable settlement.
    • If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wonga.com 2334% Apr Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello peeps not sure if i'm posting this in the right place but here goes.

In May i took out a payday £300 loan with a company called samedaycash, now changed its name to Wonga.com. I couldn't make my payment of £388 due on 20th June, i called them to advise of this and they said if i can't pay i will get a default on my credit file and a £40 fee would be added for this which they applied 3 days after my payment due date. They advised then that the debt would be passed to their collections partner although they kept trying to take the money from my bank account every 3 days for a month, the money was not in my account so they did not get paid. They still have the debt and have not passed it onto a DCA. I have since started a DMP with payplan and they are aware of this. Interest is accruing daily on the loan at a rate of 2334% apr, the amount is now at £630. I have begged them to pass it to a DCA or start legal proceeding in the county court but nothing is happening, they have been in touch asking for payment and i have told them numerous times i am with payplan, they just say it will be sent to court but give no date. This is really worrying me now as i don't know how long they intend to keep adding the interest, i'm thinking that they want to get it to a certain amount so it will be worth their while taking me to court. It could be a thousand pounds by that time just for an amount of £300. I have advised payplan of this and they just say contact the CAB.

Can anyone advise me what to do, if i can force them to take me to court and stop interest or send it to a DCA or can i claim these charges back as unfair interest, also the £40 default fee for passing it to their collections partner when they still infact have the debt. I'm at my wits end with these people i've had nothing but grief, rude people calling me saying they are sending bailiffs without a warrant as their solicitors have advised them its ok to do so, i have since had email from their collections manager as i sent an email making clear that what they were saying was complete rubbish and misrepresentation, the manager confirmed that the advisor was speaking bull. The main thing i need help or advice with is this extortionate interest. Please can someone help.

All help or comments are greatly appreciated.

Just one more note. I have received the default notice on 23rd July advising that i need to pay £528.56 by the 6th August 2008, if i don't pay they will consider my agreement is terminated and i will not be able to borrow from them again. My account will be referred to their solicitors or a DCA. Alternatively where the debt is great enough they will instruct solicitors to commence bankruptcy proceedings against me. And stating that all of the above actions will involve additional costs of at least £45 which will be added to the amount outstanding. If my agreement was to be considered terminated from that date do they still have a right to keep charging the interest? And why have they not took the action outlined in their default notice?

They are too scared to take you to court - their little 'game' would be spotted by a judge. To bankrupt you would cost them about £1500 in total, and the debt would need to be £750 for them to serve a 'Statutory Demand - the first step in the process. This can easily be defended due to their extortinate interest rate and repeated attempts to take the money from your bank account.

Get another bank account with either Natwest or the Halifax, both basic accounts you can have your wages paid into but they won't know the details.

Thanks for the reply silly girl. I have already got a new bank account and they have stopped trying to take the money. I thought the same that they would not want to make me bankrupt.

Do you know if it is legal that they are still whacking the interest onto the account daily after the default notice and the fact that they have said that if i didn't pay by the date on the default notice my agreement would be ended? I assume that if they have advised this how can they still be charging the interest under the agreement when it has now ended. Also why have they not taken the action outlined in the default notice? Is it still all legal what they are doing. If they keep the account with them for much longer then it will no doubt be over £750 anyway and in that case they could start proceedings. Is there any way i can force them to transfer it to a DCA or take me to court and get a CCJ issued? Surely this can't be right them keeping the debt and making me accrue all of the extra interest. I am sure that if the default notice is a legal document and it states that if i didn't pay the debt by the date on it and they advise the agreement would be ended from the 5th August it is unlawfull for them to keep adding the interest as they are not doing what they have stated. They advise that the agreement would end on 5th August, does that mean that any interest that has been applied after this date is unfair?

Thanks once again.

How did you apply for this loan / card?.

I would write to the Office of Fair Trading, Trading Standards and the Financial Services Authority for this type of account. That interest rate is way too much for anyone to pay.

Under the new Unfair Trading Guide, these rules may apply to your case:

Aggressive commercial practices

7.—(1) A commercial practice is aggressive if, in its factual context, taking account of all of its features and circumstances—

(a) it significantly impairs or is likely significantly to impair the average consumer’s freedom of choice or conduct in relation to the product concerned through the use of harassment, coercion or undue influence; and

(b) it thereby causes or is likely to cause him to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise.

(2) In determining whether a commercial practice uses harassment, coercion or undue influence account shall be taken of—

(a) its timing, location, nature or persistence;

(b) the use of threatening or abusive language or behaviour;

© the exploitation by the trader of any specific misfortune or circumstance of such gravity as to impair the consumer’s judgment, of which the trader is aware, to influence the consumer’s decision with regard to the product;

(d) any onerous or disproportionate non-contractual barrier imposed by the trader where a consumer wishes to exercise rights under the contract, including rights to terminate a contract or to switch to another product or another trader; and

(e) any threat to take any action which cannot legally be taken.

(3) In this regulation—

(a) “coercion” includes the use of physical force; and

(b) “undue influence” means exploiting a position of power in relation to the consumer so as to apply pressure, even without using or threatening to use physical force, in a way which significantly limits the consumer’s ability to make an informed decision.

Do you have any kind of a Credit Agreement with this lot?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hello ukaviator, thanks for the reply.

I took the loan online, applied for and signed the credit agreement online although i do not have a copy of it. I called them today to see if they will send me a copy but the girl who has been dealing with me previously answered the phone. I requested a copy of my credit agreement be sent to me and also enquired about the interest that is still being applied, she advised that as i had previously made a complaint about her she will no longer deal with me and said i have to wait for the person who now deals with my account to come in as he was not in untill the afternoon.

I contacted consumer direct by telephone and they gave me the telephone number for FSA, they advised i need to speak to OFT who advised me to write a letter to them about wonga.com and what they have been doing. I did advise what you have said about the unfair trading guidelines and they said i should write a letter to them about it which i intend to do.

In the meantime i logged onto my account with wonga.com today and my balance has gone up again. I'm in despair with this company, they know i can't pay and payplan are dealing, they have issued the default notice which said they will pass it to a DCA or start proceeding in the courts if i didn't pay by 6th August but they have done nothing, just keeping the account and accruing interest all the time at an apr of 2334%, i have begged them to stop and take me to court or pass the debt on but its falling on deaf ears, in a few months time i will no doubt owe nearly a thousand pounds just for borrowing £300, so far i owe £330 extra in interest charged and its going up daily. I don't know what else to do, any of the regulatory bodies don't seem to be able to help with individual cases so all i can do is sit back and watch the balance rise up and up and up, i think they want it at a certain level so it will be worth taking me to court either for a CCJ or bankruptcy, surely this can't be right. I simply don't know what else to do now other than reporting them to regulatory bodies, and they are not able to help me individually. Sorry for going on with such self pitty i realise its my own fault for being in this situation but i'm just angry and feel helpless now.

• 3 weeks later...

why oh why oh why would you take out one of these awful things when you knew that you were struggling and wouldn't be able to pay it back? :(

Online application would be irrelevant now since the new Act, you will have been deemed to have accepted the conditions by pressing the "accept" button, would they have sent you anything by email confirming? or is there some sort of "blank" terms on the site?

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

Well this is what their website says:

Transparency

We'll always tell you upfront what the cost of your cash advance will be. There are no catches or extra costs to worry about, providing you stick to your side of the deal. Whether you are borrowing £200 or £500, you’ll pay interest of 1% per day (£1 per £100 borrowed per day). That's an official APR of 2334%, but bear in mind that APR is a measure of annual interest and a Wonga loan is only for between five and 30 days. It's a bit like trying to plan a short hotel break and being told the theoretical cost if you were to stay all year!

Failure to stick to your side of the deal

The only way costs will mount beyond our initial calculation is if you don’t keep your promise. In other words, if you ask us to change your repayment date, or don’t ensure sufficient funds are available for the automated collection.

If we can’t collect payment from your debit card on the day you selected you'll have broken your promise and will incur a £10 administration fee towards the cost of a failed collection. Interest will also continue to accrue.

If we are declined by your bank a second time and haven't heard from you, you'll have failed to honour your loan agreement. We will hand your account to a debt collection partner and may add additional default charges, totalling up to £80, towards the costs of our collections efforts. Sustained failure to repay a loan will also lead to a black mark on your credit record and potential legal action, both of which could make it very difficult to gain credit in the future.

None of these things are worth risking over a few hundred pounds, so if you have doubts about whether you'll be able to repay a loan within 30 days, please don't apply in the first place.

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had similar problems repaying a loan with them.

Tell them you want to make installments but they must freeze the interest. They should agree to this.

I also made a complaint to the FLA there is a link on their website.

My complaint was that one of my installments was £40 instead of £45 so they kindly added £126 interest in less than a month.

Anyway once obama gets in he will sort these ripoffs out once and for allow.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sector-Snap-Payday-lenders-apf-13992097.html

btw their solicitors i believe are wonga themselves so they won't take you to court.

• 2 weeks later...

They have another week to reply to the fla regarding complaint. Think they are waiting to see if I will pay another installment this weekend.

What I found totally unfair is the way they just keep trying to take money out peoples bank accounts.

I think I will pursue this to the FSA. However Obama wants to finish these payday loan rip offs and what happens in US ultimately happens here.

Have you phone and asked for a payment plan?

tell them what you can afford and ask their bank details. I think I sent them to you? I have refused to give my card details. With their details you can set up a standing order which you can control. I intend to do this but I am making sure I dont keep to much in my account just incase.

Edited by shelly161
error

Hi,

I had a loan from wonga and got in the same situation as many, paid back then had to re borrow as it kept on leaving me short.

Had a problem this month and did not have enough in bank to repay them. I only realised it yesterday so never had time to contact them.

I am dissabled so my benefits are paid straight in to my bank account. Got a shock today, went ot check my bank account to find it EMPTY and in the red. Wonga had got there first thing and taken all of my money, even gone up to my overdraft limit.

I also had email from them telling me that they are going to try to take the remaining £95 plus interest plus fee's on 1st Feb.

They have left me with NO money for the next month!!! What do I do, I am pulling my hair out with worry. I can not get any more money until the end of next month. Are they going to just go and take it all from me again then.

HELP!!!!

Firstly you need to have your own thread on this, and secondly as you are disabled and on benefits I'd get your local MP involved... they won't like seeing a vulnerable person being milked.

I would also ask your bank for a new account number and tell them what has happened. Wonga really do take liberties and need to have as much adverse publicity as possible thrown at them.

Hi, also had the same with this company, phoned them to start a payment plan and unless i was going to pay 100 per month they were not interseted. so i dont know what to do now as they keep putting charges on. i am also on beniifts.

Any advice great and hope everyone gets there loans sorted as these people are a joke. and are not helpful at all.