• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

G E Money and Secret Commissions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just to let you know that I am about to issue 2 Claims against GE Money (then Ocwen) for 2 secured loans taken out on our house in 1999/2000. These claims are possible because, after a professional audit, it was clear that we paid both a stated commission and secret commission on each loan. On one loan the broker's disclosed commission was £2,300 and the undisclosed commission was £4,500 - on a loan of approx £40,000. Both loans were redemned when we sold the house.

I am claiming all associated costs of the loans, in fact, everything except the capital sum, and eight/nine years interest. This gives claims of approximately £25,000 and £30,000.

As per the Hurstanger case, the undisclosed commissions are a breach of fiduciary duty and a form of bribe. Am I one of this first to do this?

Frustrated.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mortgage-companies/151573-sub-prime-mortgages-loans.html

As a matter of interest, on what grounds do you feel you have to claim all the interest back as a result of this? can you explain your line of thinking and what backs it up at all because I know a number of people who have requested info from brokers.

I'm glad this is coming out into the open, going to be a few brokers with sticky nick knocks after they start seeing people onto this .

Sarah

Edited by andrew1

Okay. About me: just finished Law Degree (2:1) at Birkbeck in London. Only reason to do this was a feeling of lack of power and irritation. Buffeted by the institutional contempt of financial institutions. Knowledge is power and I really do get quite irritated. Collected monies taken from my accounts by NatWest a few years ago, etc..

In the case of G E Money/Ocwen the grounds are as follows: Our audits show two separate commissions to the broker on each loan; one disclosed and one not disclosed. The courts will take their lead from the Hurstanger case. The defendants in Hurstanger were not allowed redress because it was not a "true secret commission case", ie. their documentation stated that the broker "might be paid" a commission and that was enough to negate secrecy. In addition, even if there is no such statement, the customer should ask themselves what the broker is living on if he does not receive commission, and should be responsible enough to ask about commission.

However, in our case, the documentation shows quite clearly a commission of £2,500 to the broker. Being aware of this disclosed commission we would be entitled to believe that this was the brokers only return and we entered into the contract in that belief. The exposure of the undisclosed commission (much larger) would, reading the judge's explanation in Hurstanger make ours a true secret commission case. The remedies, as described in H, are "the amount of the bribe or for damages for fraud where he can recover the amount of any actual loss sustained by entering into the transaction in respect of the bribe given".

We are going for damages for fraud; the actual loss sustained includes any amount except the capital amount. So all interest, penalties, disclosed broker fee, undisclosed broker fee, legal fees, settlement charge, admin charges, completion costs, etc. These amounts are our financial loss caused by entering into a fraudulent contract.

Frustrated

In addition, the court will ask, would we have entered into the contract for a £40,000 loan knowing the real total commission was approximately £6,500? A sum which does not even take into account the interest and fees of the lender. And were there more favourable loan arrangements that we could have entered into? And did our broker not reveal these other loan arrangements to us in a clear breach of his fiduciary duty because the return to him was greater if we signed up to the G E Money/Ocwen loans?

If the secret commission is established, the broker is in breach of his fiduciary duty and the lender is jointly liable. The courts have defined the way forward, but, as yet, I don't think that a provable case of secret commission has allowed the courts to follow through on the judgement given by Tuckey LJ in Hurstanger.

Frustrated

Frustrated

• 4 months later...

Hi frustrated, strangely I did a law degree for the same reasons and got a 2:1 as well, but with the OU as I work full time. I am interested in your claim as we had a 40k loan from GE. We have already claimed back all the charges and have a 2.5k ERC claim on standby. As ours was also through a broker I will have to do some more research. Do let us know how you are doing with this one.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi frustrated, strangely I did a law degree for the same reasons and got a 2:1 as well, but with the OU as I work full time. I am interested in your claim as we had a 40k loan from GE. We have already claimed back all the charges and have a 2.5k ERC claim on standby. As ours was also through a broker I will have to do some more research. Do let us know how you are doing with this one.

Don't want to digress from the thread, but which charges did you get back GL and on what basis? Had a GE Loan too, bags of charges...be interested to know.

Just to keep thread on track...http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/170647-secret-commisions.html :D

In the case we are currently running against GE for undisclosed commissions, at the preliminary hearing the judge asked GE's solicitors (Wragge & Co) whether GE had received any other similar claims and they stated they had not. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has made a similar claim as I'm sure the judge will not be too pleased if GE have misled him!

All the £40 charges for late payment/failed dd's and the interest we had paid on them. GE very kindly showed this separately on our statements. Was almost £2k. They tried to make me agree to keep my mouth shut - I refused;).

Back on track - how does one find out about these commissions?

BANK CHARGES

Others

Very interesting, Goldlady! What type of loan was it? Secured or unsecured? Was it your main mortgage or an additional loan?

Re finding out about the commissions, they generally will not tell you in the first instance however the loan was arranged through a credit broker rather than directly with the lender then almost invariably a commission will have been paid (in addition to any fee the broker charged you directly). If you start legal proceedings, at that point they will disclose the amount of commission paid.

Secured loan in addition to mortgage. Decided to go for them after they refused to help AT ALL when we got into difficulties and then tried to repossess just before Christmas two years ago. Paid them off by refinancing with 1st mortgage lender then issued court claim:p

BANK CHARGES

Others

All the £40 charges for late payment/failed dd's and the interest we had paid on them. GE very kindly showed this separately on our statements. Was almost £2k. They tried to make me agree to keep my mouth shut - I refused;).

Back on track - how does one find out about these commissions?

I actually wrote to my broker and asked him outright. Did he or did he not receive an additional fee/payment from the lender as well as the one I paid him .. First attempt I received a politicians answer "well the question you should be asking is this" and promptly veering completely off track, so a more direct manner of questioning followed :D

OH has just reminded me that we were supposed to pay the broker a fee but we refused on the basis that they would have had their commission from GE (or IGroup as it was then). We had not been told we would have to pay the broker and they backed down fairly quickly when we put up a fight as obviously someone had forgotten to deduct it from the loan drawdown:D. So I guess we can't really argue that one.

BANK CHARGES

Others

OH has just reminded me that we were supposed to pay the broker a fee but we refused on the basis that they would have had their commission from GE (or IGroup as it was then). We had not been told we would have to pay the broker and they backed down fairly quickly when we put up a fight as obviously someone had forgotten to deduct it from the loan drawdown:D. So I guess we can't really argue that one.

The whole idea of establishing whether a secret commission has been paid is to ensure you were given totally unbiased advice. If they took a fee from the lender they were not unbiased. End of.

I've posted this on the secret commissions thread but am very interested to know how others are proceeding. A friend is seeing a solicitor tomorrow. She got nothing from the broker except his business card - no other paperwork whatsoever. The lender didn't even send her a copy of the mortgage agreement. They are supposed to give the Information Disclosure Document from the outset detailing the charges for their service and a Key Facts Illustration about the loan. She was offered one loan and one loan only, no other companies or loans were mentioned and her credit rating is good - they are supposed to be a whole of market broker. He asked her for a fee just before everything was completed - it was too late then to turn back - and the broker's commission was tucked away on the back of page 10 of the loan offer - she never even noticed it. She was not asked for her informed consent to the brokers commission. In addition, the negotiations were held in her employers house (where she works) with her employer and the vendor present! Ouch! Don't know how she will get on but we will know more tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how everyone above have got on with this secret commission case, I have started my own thread but does not seem to be that much known on this site about it, have you all given up or in the middle of reclaiming.

Please post up, thanks

Hi,

My claim against G E Money Home Lending for two old Ocwen Loans (secret commission, erc) comes up in court next week for a directions hearing.

GE have two preliminary defences: They are not the defendants, Ocwen are (now dormant, bought by Igroup, which is part of G E Money).

and the claim is limitation barred.

So I am going to ask that Ocwen and Igroup are joined as defendants, then I have to wait another 28 days for their defence.

Wragge are their solicitors. Horrible.

Frustrated

Hi,

My claim against G E Money Home Lending for two old Ocwen Loans (secret commission, erc) comes up in court next week for a directions hearing.

GE have two preliminary defences: They are not the defendants, Ocwen are (now dormant, bought by Igroup, which is part of G E Money).

and the claim is limitation barred.

So I am going to ask that Ocwen and Igroup are joined as defendants, then I have to wait another 28 days for their defence.

Wragge are their solicitors. Horrible.

Frustrated

Yes, GE do try this, its rather ridiculous, I understand you can just apply to amend your paperwork via the court to say they you are claiming against the co known as XXX trading as XXX and provide all the letterheads etc that have caused you to think they are called one thing and not another.

good luck (just ASK them outright and copy it to the Court) who are they!!??

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

IGROUP LIMITED Number 03389478

Previous Name(s)

Changed : 27/03/2000 Ocwen Uk Limited

Changed : 15/04/1998 City Mortgage Receivables 7 Plc

Web Address GEMONEY.CO.UK Incorporation Date 16/06/1997

Kinda says it all really for a Judge...hope it helps...this comes from a Creditcheck/company info information site..good luck

thanks, they tried the old name switheroo with me on my charges claim, but still got them all back!

still in litigation with this lot!

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

I have also a secret commission claim, I paid a fee of £339 I know its not much, but still it was without my knowledge or consent. Blemain/Finance paid this fee to our broker Ocean/Finance.

I only found this info out when I SAR'd Blemain and the Underwriting Sheet disclosed this amount. I am still waiting for Ocean/Finance to reply to my SAR that I sent them to see what that says and if they have disclosed any fee received by B/Finance.

About but the £339 commission. That should be detailed within section 13 of my KFI when I receive from Ocean/Finance when I receive my SAR

This is what it should read>

"explain to your customer in full that any fee you may charge for your services is NOT a condition of the loan. We will need your customer's request and instruction in writing for us to deduct this fee and send it to you. You may also receive a payment from us in respect of the loan, which you should advise your client of and hold conversation on file

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks