Business rates and Liability Order

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5711 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I've had 2 bailiff visits for an amount not paid for the tax year 2007/2008 - now I had believed this to be paid, but obviously not. They have also obtained a liability order for 2008/2008 already.

Now it was suggested that I check that the liability order was indeed obtained from the magistrate's court, so called them today only to be told that if it was one within a bulk session they could not confirm that a liability order had been made - that I have to trust the council. This doesn't quite seem right to me, so if anyone else has any experience of this it would be helpful.

I'm not disputing my responsibility for the charge - though it is for an empty office that doesn't even have a loo right now - long story - responsibility passes back to the owner in September. We were granted empty office rate for 6 months, but now I'm paying the full £2000-odd - which is difficult just now (recently separated and low income). Any guidance on that would be useful.

I've written a letter advising the council that I'll pay them over 3 months, and written to the bailiff that I'll pay the £24.50 plus £18 fees that they are due for the two visits (and have asked where they get £252 from - not signed anything, but he did write down details of my car - now that is making me panic a bit - I'd struggle big time without that - and it's needed for my business - but he wasn't interested in that, even though that was the only reason the Official Receiver allowed me to keep it last year).

Any help welcome - this panic I feel is not helpful right now, but even if I could just pay them what they say I must, they are not right to claim what they have - thanks to websites like this and others.

Thank you.

Thank you Conniff

The insurance does include for use for business - good point. And I could dig out the OR's ruling on that - it's filed deeply away, but can dig it out if I need to.

What I did do was bite the bullett and phone the bailiff. Set up the arrangement through him that I'd offered the council and he's happy with that. So I can relax now and not be afraid to leave the back door open.

What I am disputing is their charges and will stand my ground on that. They have now replied with their breakdown of "Levy Fee £40 and Bailiff Enforcement Fees £212". Hmmm.

Anyway - this still leaves the issue of not actually being able to check that a liability order was in fact granted by the court. Surely that's not just on the council's word? I just want to understand that really, as it seems a bit wrong. I guess that as this has not been explored before, it's a non-issue.