Housemates Won't Pay Council Tax, What Do I Do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5713 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently moved out of my house which i have lived for two years on a shared tenancy agreement. We have a huge council tax bill remaining that still needs paying and it seems i am the only person willing to do something about it.

I need some advice on what i should do. I have the funds to pay my share of what is owed but understand that this won't clear my name off the bill. My friends are so unreliable i know they won't pay anything until we get taken to court, and expect this to happen. I am reluctant to contact the council tax office as i am paranoid they will then continue to target me solely as i am the only one doing some thing about it.

It's a catch 22 situation as i want to pay my share and cover my back for when we end up in the court room but feel this will work against me as i will be considered responsible.

P.S. My lanlord is also ignoring me as he has my bond which he says he is keeping for any bills that we owe but has not actually paid it into anything, any advice with that situation.

Thank you to anyone who has took the time to read this.

Your correct in the assumption that you would be jointly liable for all Council Tax even if you pay part however where the L/A is aware of who has made payments then most would try and chase the other occs before coming back to you.

The council can however chase one or all of the tenants at their discretion.