Paying too much council tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5671 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I havent visited this site for some time but like an old friend it's never forgotten, thing is Ive got a bit of a dilemma!!! I have recently discovered (by chance) my council (liverpool) have been charging me band A council tax for the last 6 years without deducting 25% as I am a sole owner/occupier!!! I discovered by chance talking to a friend Ive been paying too much. So I phoned the local council and the very nice lady confirmed that I had indeed been paying full whack for 6 years although she said 'you will only be able to reclaim 2 years and if you wish to claim the rest then send us a letter' I would like to know how to reclaim my money? can they fob me off because I havent twigged? I know there will be a lot of people thinking 'wot a plonkert' but I just pay by direct debit and they take my money, so in the past had no need to question it. Your expert help would be very welcome. thanks all.:)

LETS ROCK !!!:D :D :D

Hi nightstar,

Have you asked them what their claims procedure is?

I note they say you need to send them a letter. I would do this anyway, as its difficult to see why there would be an arguement.

The problem now is proving your entitlement for the full 6 yrs - every time you get a start of yr bill you get a letter which advises you could possibly claim a 25% discount, they'll most likely ask why you didn't apply earlier.

The council need to ensure you that you were entitled to it before they backdate the discount as they have to protect public funds.

Thanks guys,

I am sure they have to be sure that before I can get 6 years backdated refund, but I have always lived alone and I have been on the electoral roll so I assumed they could check this out? I feel that yes I should of read the small print advising me of a discount but hey they have my money and I want it back...,.:(

Nightstar, you really expect too much from your council (especially your council!)- rational thought and looking at the electoral roll??!! Unheard of!

The key is probably to send them a letter (recorded delivery) stating you want and are eligible for this and have been for six years, so wish for it to be backdated.

You will probably need to fill in an application form, available from the council (include with recorded delivery letter and write in letter that this is included).

Then see what LCC come back with.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 1 month later...

There is no time limit on council tax discount rebates you can indeed go back as far 1993 when the tax was introduced the act is here to confirm this

http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Financialhelp/Helpwithcounciltax/StatutoryInstrument1992No613-CTDadminregs.doc

You also do not need to give a reason why you did not claim it before.

• Haha 1

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses, happy to inform you that the council have indeed met me 1/2 way and reimbursed me nearly £700 (3 years) so I am happy with that decision.

Once again thank you all very much.:D

Great news, Nightstar. In these difficult times, I hope this refund helps make life a little easier!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .