council tax - am I really liable for everyone else?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - Big problem here ..... gulp

I lived in a shared house for 3 years and moved out 3 years ago. There were 6 people, each with separate bedrooms (shared kitchen and bathroom)

Well, truth be told, none of us paid the council tax bills over those 3 years.

Move on to 2 months ago and I receive a call at my workplace from the council asking for my current address so that they could charge me for the tax, I refused and buried my head in the sand.

today I found 2 'attachment of earnings orders' on my desk saying that the whole households 3 years worth of council tax will be deducted from my wages in monthly amounts totalling just under £3000!

I work out that my personal contribution from looking at the bills (I went to the old house and they were there with the other house-mates names listed) should actually be £410 plus whatever fines incurred. ... so my stupidity has now slapped me hard in the face.

I know where one of the ex house-mates lives and could possibly trace one other.

My question now is ...... if I gave the council this information, would it be taken into account - or am I now entirely liable since it's been to court in my absence?

My other option as I see it is to ask the 2 traceable house-mates to contribute their fair share of the bill to me - or to offer it to the council - but why would they if they would have to pay for the missing others shares as well?

any advice appreciated

Nanou

Quote from direct.gov

Who is responsible for paying the bill?

There's one Council Tax bill for each home. Usually the person living in the property has to pay the bill. Spouses and partners who live together are both responsible for paying the bill.

The person at the top or nearest to the top of the following list has to pay the bill:

• lives in the property and owns it

• lives in the property and has a lease (this includes 'assured tenants' under the Housing Act 1988)

• lives in the property and is a 'statutory' or 'secure' tenant

• lives in the property and isn't a tenant but has permission to live there

• lives in the property (for example a squatter)

• has a lease of six months or more on the property, but doesn't live there

• owns the property but doesn't live there

You can't be responsible for paying the bill if you're under age 18.

If you're still unsure about who is responsible for paying the bill, you can contact your local council and they'll be able to help.

Can you proove that others lived in the house at the same time? Will the landlord give copies of tenancy agreements?

Providing the property was not an HMO and you where not otherwise disregarded then all of the occupants are jointly liable for 100% of the council tax due.

The Council can choose to pursue one person if they wish - the onus is on the Council to decide.

Can you proove that others lived in the house at the same time? Will the landlord give copies of tenancy agreements?

I haven't managed to get an answer on that from the letting agency but all of their names appear on the council tax bills.

nanou

Providing the property was not an HMO and you where not otherwise disregarded then all of the occupants are jointly liable for 100% of the council tax due.

The Council can choose to pursue one person if they wish - the onus is on the Council to decide.

Yes, but do you know if there is an appeal process and whether the info I mentioned above on the other tenants would help me?

nanou

There is no appeals process on the liability when you admit the joint liability - if you weren't liable then you could push for a tribunal.

The right of the council to decide who to pursue is their choice and I would expect that as they have AOE on you they wont withdraw it so that they can chase the others.