Council Tax help & Advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Need help & advice please.

Had serious money troubles last couple of years and thankfully getting things sorted now. However, had problems with council tax as our landlord screwed us from our last property (he said the rent was inclucing council tax) but it wasnt...

We have made a few arrangements with the council (English council) but these have been defaulted on. We received a letter from the council telling us that they were applying for a Liability order and that it was due in court on the 14th July. This letter came through on 12th July.

I emailed them and requested that they deduct via my earnings (I work for another local authority).

Today a letter is through from them and it states:

" With reference to the above and your recent communication. For your information a LIability order was obtained at the court on monday 14th July 2008 for the current years charge, which will be sent to you in due course. As you have not adhered to any arrangement you have made I will now refer all debts to the councils baliff whom i will instruct to instigate committal proceedings against you"

HELP !!! what does committal proceedings mean?

Any and all help would be great. Getting very stressed and trying not to as im only recently back at work after being off for 4 months with stress.

Thanks

JD

Hello, firstly you should pay something every week, whether they accept it or not just keep payng it. I think the term 'commital proceedings' refers to the fact that you have paid nothing so far. As far as they are concerned you havent paid a penny so are refusing to pay. They will only put you in prison if you refuse to pay. (wilful refusal or culpable neglect) So aslong as you are paying something you can relax a little.

Im not sure what you can do after this point, as you say you have made a few payment arrangements with them. Im sure someone will be along with some extra advice.

Im just speaking from personal experience & my case is still ongoing. But all I know is you should start paying money off this, payment arrangement or not, just start paying what you can anyway.