Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

Default Just passed mobile camera van - have I been caught?

Hi all,

I've just gone past a mobile camera van on my local road, and think I might have been doing about 40 in a 30....just a couple of questions:

- The back of the van(where the camera was) was point in the same direction as my travel, but on the opposite side of the road. I.E. it was pointing towards oncoming traffic on the same side of the road, which was the opposite side of the road to that on which I was travelling. Any idea if this means my car was being "monitored" or not?
    - Is there anything regarding markings/alerts of a van legally? They had tucked in behind some trees so it was impossible to see until you had gone past.
    - Presumably 40 in a 30 would usually be 3 points and 60 fine?

Thanks in advance - panicking somewhat as never ever been done for speeding or any other motoring thing before!!!

Similar Threads:
    7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Default Re: Just passed mobile camera van - have I been caught?

Quote Originally Posted by MrShed View Post
    Hi all,

The back of the van(where the camera was) was point in the same direction as my travel, but on the opposite side of the road. I.E. it was pointing towards oncoming traffic on the same side of the road, which was the opposite side of the road to that on which I was travelling. Any idea if this means my car was being "monitored" or not?
    If the van was on the oposite side of the road with the camera facing your oncoming traffic, then that is who it was checking.

The cameras record the speed of the APPROACHING vehicles, otherwise they would be trying to prosecute you for travelling at MINUS 40 miles per hour presumably (as you were travelling away from them when the camera was pointed at you).

ps
    Stop travelling at 40 miles an hour on a 30mph road in future please!!

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by crem View Post
    If the van was on the oposite side of the road with the camera facing your oncoming traffic, then that is who it was checking.

The cameras record the speed of the APPROACHING vehicles, otherwise they would be trying to prosecute you for travelling at MINUS 40 miles per hour presumably (as you were travelling away from them when the camera was pointed at you).

ps
    Not true I'm afraid GATSO cameras get you as you go past photographing the rear of the vehicle.
    Speed Cameras - Gatso, Truvelo, SPECS cameras, Peek, Speedcurb, Watchman, Traffic Light, DS2, Mobile speed traps

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed Authoritative MrShed's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

ps
    I know lol

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative old_andrew2007 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    West Midlands

its a case of wait and see, you will hear soon enough

Advice is based on my personal opinion, and what I have learnt from this forum.
    If you need legal advice please consider consulting a lawyer.

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Quote Originally Posted by green_and_mean View Post
    Not true I'm afraid GATSO cameras get you as you go past photographing the rear of the vehicle.
    Speed Cameras - Gatso, Truvelo, SPECS cameras, Peek, Speedcurb, Watchman, Traffic Light, DS2, Mobile speed traps
    He wasn't asking about GATSO.

The speed camera vans use a fixed camera position and are therefore presumably set up in the best vantage point to clearly observe as many cars passing as possible with the camera being able to record the number plate of offenders.

Setting up on the oposite side of the road and pointing the camera a vehicles travelling away from them on the other lane would at the very least be foolhardy as many of the speeders observed would not be able to be prosecuted because their plate was obscured by a vehicle travelling towards the camera van! Also the angle at which the laser would have to be aimed most likely would result in the camera not receiving a "ping" back because it would bounce off the car at an angle into the ether.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

Cheers crem - certainly seems a good point, where the van was located any cars travelling the other way would block the path of any video/signal pointing at my car....

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean Highly informative green_and_mean's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

He wasn't asking about GATSO.
    How would he know what type of camera was in the van??

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

as ever G&M you always wish to take the discussion away from common sense and digress into theoretical what ifs and maybes when I believe you know full well how the camera vans typically operate, and it isn't by placing vans on the wrong side of the road and chancing to luck that they will be able to observe and record vehicles across carrigeways.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

as ever G&M you always wish to take the discussion away from common sense and digress into theoretical what ifs and maybes when I believe you know full well how the camera vans typically operate, and it isn't by placing vans on the wrong side of the road and chancing to luck that they will be able to observe and record vehicles across carrigeways.
    I was simply correcting your claim that

"The cameras record the speed of the APPROACHING vehicles, otherwise they would be trying to prosecute you for travelling at MINUS 40 miles per hour presumably (as you were travelling away from them when the camera was pointed at you)."

this is not the case.

Admittedly being on the other side of the road would tend to indicate the camera was filming the other direction but that is different to claiming cameras ONLY film oncoming traffic.

Basic Account Holder Esio Trot Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    Bedfordshire

Quote Originally Posted by MrShed View Post
    Is there anything regarding markings/alerts of a van legally? They had tucked in behind some trees so it was impossible to see until you had gone past.
    I understand that last year, when the rules changed about allowing variable points for speeding, that they also allowed covert surveillance. Thus North Wales Constabulary now have a horse box that has no markings at all - but internally is fully equipped with speed detection devices.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Quote Originally Posted by green_and_mean View Post
    I was simply correcting your claim that ....
    or more acurately; you were simply been as argumentative and obtuse as ever.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

or more acurately; you were simply been as argumentative and obtuse as ever.
    Sorry I promise never to correct you when you give out incorrect and misleading advice ever again!!

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK Authoritative Rooster-UK's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    I am in
    Heaven

Please play nicely!

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.
    Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------
    Please donate,
    Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.
    FAQs....
    Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

can I have that in writing please Green (although I'm sure I will still have to read through your many "corrections" of everyone else on the forums unfortunately)

However, sticking to the MrShed's original question, it would seem at least there is an agreement that it is very very unlikely that this camera van was set up to observe vehicles travelling in his lane and he would be a most unlucky driver if this was the case. I am sure he will keep posted if something changes in this regard.

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Jul 2007

can I have that in writing please Green (although I'm sure I will still have to read through your many "corrections" of everyone else on the forums unfortunately)
    Isn't freedom of speech a wonderful thing!!

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Oct 2006

Thanks for the advice all guys Esio crem and G+M.

Guess it looks as if I would be unlucky, but will of course let you know if/when I get my NIP through

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative Al27 Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2008

ps
    Meh.

I'm always doing 40 on 30mph stretches where the roads are straight and clear, with good visibility.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Al27 View Post
    Meh.

I'm always doing 40 on 30mph stretches where the roads are straight and clear, with good visibility.
    40 on a 30 would give you an automatic failure on an L test Al27, so lets hope you are never ordered to retake yours or you could be without your licence for a long time.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Bernie_the_Bolt Informative Bernie_the_Bolt Informative

Cagger since
    Sep 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Al27 View Post
    Meh.

Just so long as you recognise that it makes you a habitual criminal!

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE