What do i do.........? HELP!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5737 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just recently moved into london with another flat mate, me and my flat mate recently went on our seperate holidays and during this time we received a letter dated 20th June for Council tax - Final notice for amount outstanding to 31st MArch 2009 £840. They gave us 7 days to pay this and i got back from holiday on the 27th June which i duly paid the monthly £105 as i simply couldnt afford the full £840 on my own. Now i thought this issue was settled until i received a letter today 10/07/08 from Phoenix Commercial Collections Certificated Baliffs for £537.28...........i have no idea what this fee is so i wont be paying it. The letter was dropped in our post box as me and my flat mate work during office hours so no one come into contact with him. Now i was wondering if they have any right to impose any charge on us.................?

I tempted to call the council office tomorrow morning to pay the full settlement as my flat mate is now back and we can afford the full £735 now. But will this be enough or would i need to pay Phoenix Commercials £24.50 for the visit they made.........?

Guest Old_andrew2018

The charge is neither exessive or unreasonable so I expect they will demand payment.

Have you been issued with a Liability Order by the Magistrates Court? They can't send out bailiffs without this. If you have been issued a Liability Order then they can demand all money owed under that order including recovery costs. Without it they can't take recovery action.

With an order you can still make an arrangement but fees will be payable. If there isn't an order you can make an arrangement to pay and fees are not payable.

Find out first if you have a final demand or a Liability Order. Big difference in what they can do. Even if you have a Liablility Order they have to give you 7 days notice before issuing the debt to a bailiff.