statutory demand - council tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

sorry only just been able to reply

The letter states that the statutory demand is from the local authority

the company are Target Professional services

they say they have already attended my address with out meeting us, but I have not received a letter informing me of such or that they were coming in the first [place.

This is the first letter.

Any advice please.

I have just spoken to them

they said they will post the demand through the letter box as its's only at stat demand for payment, & then i have to deal with my local authority, it is for council tax

It is a statutory demand, it says how to comply with the demand to have it set aside, that i have to make an application within 18 days.

It also says that i could come to a settlement with the creditor, if i can't pay the debt in full, and to do this there are 2 contact persons.

When I phoned target who delivered the demand, they told me to get back in touch with my local authority.

confused:confused:

Hi

hope someone can give me some advice

This morning I have had another letter from target services, saying they will be attended my premises next weds to issue a stat demand exactly the same as the last one from the same creditors ( local authority), What are they playing at :confused:

A statutory demand is the first stage of a bankruptcy. The council are trying to make you bankrupt to recover Countil Tax. Serving the demand is the first stage and at this point you can stop further action.

Phone the council ASAP and offer to make an arrangement with them over the debt and to set aside the statutory demand.

If Target come back to serve the demand and you are not at home when they call, they can still serve it by posting it through your letter box. You really need to contact the council before Target are due to come back. The Council can call them off and make an arrangement with you. Back up you phone call with a letter offering an arrangement that way you can prove that you have tried to settle the debt if it does end up going further.

Hope you get on okay

Ns

Thanks for your advice, I will call the council, what I was confused about is that they have already posted the demand through the letter box, then got another letter saying they were coming again, the total is for just under £4000, but I have almost half of it to offer them, and then offer a repayment for the rest. I haven't got loads of debt, this is the largest really.

Sounds like a good plan. If you can offer a lump sum it will be easier to make an arrangement on the rest. Try and allways deal with the council and not target. The council have a charter they have to abide by, target don't.

The best thing about this debt is no interest. There may be fees and costs but at least you would be paying of the actual debt each month not just the interest.

Good luck

Ns x

ok, I have spoken to the council, have offfered to pay half of the council tax bill which leaves me half to pay, which they have said I can pay in installments starting end of Aug, still quite hefty installments £300 per mnth but they weren't going to budge & they said they wanted it all tied up by Jan, Then I am completely debt free from council tax untill next April.

Thanks for the advice

I have asked the council to call target to put them off , which they are going to do, but i may also give them a call aswell.

• dx100uk changed the title to statutory demand - council tax