Claiming money back for washing uniform at home?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5742 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm a chef and I was told today by a friend that its possible to claim some money back from the tax office because I wash my whites (uniform) at home daily. He said that I can back date it for 6 years and get £60 back a year.

Does anybody know if this is true and if so how do you go about doing it?

I just put it in writing to my tax office and they gave me an allowance for washing - and shoes! I also asked them to backdate for 6 years which they kindly did. Now I get the allowance automatically on my tax code every year :)

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

There is also a company that does this for you but they take a whopping 40% commission on any tax rebate you get.

Poppy - how did you go about this? My flatmate has used the service I hav referred to above and was told by the tax office that he needs to have specific details - costs etc. I'm clueless on tax (and so's he).

Maybe we should have a tax claim thread (go on - I bet there is already!)

Depends on the tax office how much proof they require. If it's obvious 'cos of your occupation that you've needed the service for the last ?6 years (I actually understood it was 7, but that maybe counts this tax year in) they will usually accept without proof - guess your flatmate, gyzmo, was unlucky. However if you have receipts (or can get copies of payments etc.) from laundry, CC or bank you've no probs. If you can keep latest receipts & produce those they may allow the period you're claiming for too.

When I was working I had to wear a suit everyday but also had to get it more dirty than normal workday wear (don't ask!) & actually claimed the dry cleaning expenses.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Note: You can also claim costs of replacement of uniform (chef's trousers etc.) if you have to pay for those yourself & don't get provided by or an allowance form employer.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Here is a list from tax website of agreed allowances

Other expenses: flat rate expenses: table of agreed amounts for 2004/05 onwards

If your job is one on the list then you need to contact your tax office with your occupation details,how long you have been employed,NI number and employers address and it should automactically be done.

This is what I did and it was all done very quickly.

Hope this helps