• Tweets

• They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
    • In order for us to help you we require the following information:- [if there are more than one defendant listed - tell us] 1 defendant   Which Court have you received the claim from ? County Court Business Centre, Northampton   Name of the Claimant ? LC Asset 2 S.A R.L   Date of issue – . 28/04/23   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for –    (1) The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the outstanding balance due and payable under an agreement referenced xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and opened effective from xx/xx/2017. The agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('CCA'), was signed by the Defendant ('D') and from which credit was extended to D.   (2) D failed to comply with a Default Notice served pursuant to s87 (1) CCA and by xx/xx/2022 a default was recorded.   (3) As at xx/xx/2022 the Defendant owed MBNA LTD the sum of 12,xxx.xx. By an agreement in writing the benefit of the debt has been legally assigned to C effective xx/xx/2022 and made regular upon C serving a Notice of Assignment upon D shortly thereafter.   (4) And C claims- 1. 12,xxx.xx 2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from xx/01/2023 to xx/04/2023 of 2xx.xx and thereafter at a daily rate of 2.52 to date of judgement or sooner payment. Date xx/xx/2023   What is the total value of the claim? 12k   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes, but amount differs slightly   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. DP issued claim   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not that I recall...   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not that I recall...   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Yes   Why did you cease payments? Loss of employment main cause   What was the date of your last payment? Early 2021   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No   -----------------------------------
    • Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Council Tax/Lawson Maclaine - Telling me can only be sorted with a visit from them...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, my council tax arrears debt has been sent to Lawson Maclaine, has anyone heard of them?

I called them up to set up a payment arrangement & Ive been told the only way I can set up a payment arrangement is by having them come round & see me in my home.

Does anyone know if this is true. Im wary of letting them into my house.

Thanks

Do NOT let them into your home.. the only way anybody can visit you is by invitation, or by order of the court.

Of course, they want to get into your home, so they can see what goods you have and then probably try to con you into signing a Walking Possession Agreement, which means they can come back at any time and break in if necessary to take your goods!!

If they turn up, there is a letter you should hand over to them, and NOT sign. However, I will have to find it, unless somebody else comes along and posts it for you.

Ahhh, I thought they might be tricking me. I was gong to lock the house & talk with them out the front, just to make sure. Tell them Ive been locked out or something.

Thanks to ODC for this (taken from another thread).

You will have to edit parts to suit your circumstances. This is to post to them... by recorded delivery preferably, keeping the receipt of course. Keep a few copies, and if a bailiff turns up, hand him a copy of it.

DOORSTEP COLLECTION VISIT – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

I refer to your recent correspondence.

I note it is your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and civil action will be taken.

Furthermore I do not acknowledge any alleged debt owed to Hutchison Telecoms for a mobile phone contract. This contract was terminated in OCT 2007. You have failed to provide any proof whatsoever that I have signed any further contract with the company or indeed I have used a mobile phone on their network since that date. Unless you can provide DOCUMENTARY evidence to substansiate your claims I will not be entering into any further discussion with you regarding this matter.

Post this off Recorded Delivery and see what happens. DO NOT SIGN the letter __________________

Also, Im not sure if this is a judgement from the court or whether the debt has only just been sent to bailiffs. How do I gt this back into the hands of local authority & away from bailiffs?

If it was through the court, you would have received a copy.

When did you make the appointment for? Send the letter anyway.. get all the details you can about any bailiff that turns up, and refuse to divulge any information at all. Hell.. even wait outside for him if you have to. If anybody turns up, hand them a copy of the letter, and send them on their way. They have no legal right to enter your home unless its with YOUR permission, or with a court order.

They prey on the fact that they "think" people don't know their rights, and abuse the law to suit themselves.

You can even phone them up and cancel any appoinrment.. don't listen to what they say when they say it's not possible!

I would PM TomTubby, and ask for some help on this (find any post from TT, and click on the name. You will then see a screen, and on it in small letters it will say "send message"). The fact you arranged an appointment might mean you "invited" them round. However.. under false pretences. What they told you is complete rubbish.

Good luck.

Damn, I wish I had stuck by my guns on the phone & refused to make an appointment. He was so convincing when he was telling me that because its council tax the law sais they must come round to my house to speak with me :(

OK, Ive just looked through my papaer work. The debt was taken to court & a payment arrangement set up. But because I lost my job 8 weeks ago & have been unable to make payments the debt has been sent to bailiffs. Does this mean they have a court order?

Im printing out an N245 to take to the court to see if I can stop this.

Ive called the council & they tell me the payment agreement wasnt a court order, & they have now sent my debt to a bailiff and its something called a 'liability order' I dont know what any of this means :(

But from what I cant work out, it means I cant fill in an N245 form to request the suspension of a warrant or a variation of an order, because the debt hasnt been to county court & there is no court order??

Can anyone help me unmuddle the mess?

Thanks

So if there is no court order, there is no need for them to be visiting, unless you invite them, and you can call, fax, write etc to cancel your "invite".

Deal with the council direct, and tell them of the bailiffs fairy story. Tell them you want to arrange to pay off the amount through an agreement with them. Try calling them first, and regardless of their reply, follow it up in writing restating what you said in the phone call.

It might be worth mentioning to them that they are liable for the actions of these bailiffs (as the council employed them), and with the lies you are being told, it may or may not implicate them in any further proceedings, should that happen.

hello, thanks for reply. I have cancelled the appointment with bailiffs. They tried to get me to make another appointment but I said I would be in touch instead.

The council have said to me on the phone that now it is in the hands of the bailiffs they cant request it back & it is nothing to do with them.

Im wondering why they just didnt apply to have the money taken out of my benefits?

So I guess I will have to dodge the bailiffs for now & wait for it to be sent back to the council so I can set up a new payment arrangement? Or should I try & negotiate with the bailiffs? Ive read that the only way they will negotiate is if I agree to sign a walking posession agreement. I guess these are signed by way of showing your commitment to paying off the debt?

The council are talking out of their.....

The bailiffs have no legal right of entry as there was no court order to allow them to do so. A Walking Posession Agreement allows them to enter your home and take your goods. DON'T sign anything at all.

Of course they will insist that you pay the whole amount in one go, but quite simply, if you don't have it, you can't give it to them, so it's in their interests to accept a reasonable monthly amount.

• Haha 1

just asking

what legislation can you use to get a council to take back the debt if they refuse. ie saying it is in the hands of the baliffs.

me thinking avoiding baliff fees, if debt paid direct to council, the liability order is satisfied, so no debt.

Not quite right ss.

If the bailiffs have never been into your home and they will not accept your offer, all they can do is to pass your debt back to the Council.

The council will then have to consider other ways of getting the payment ie taking it from your wages or qualifying benefits.

It does mean that the debt is back with the council and you should come to an arrangement with them to make payments.

The council can take it back, they usually say they can't because they can't be bothered.

It is right as far as the legislation goes - there is no legislation to force the council to take the account back, what the legislation does allow is for the council or the bailiff request that accounts be returned at their discretion.

Its not so much as not being bothered, its a matter of cost. Very few contacts with the bailiff will allow the council to take back cases for free - someone has to pay. Why should the rest of the taxpayers foot the bill ?

The bailiffs came round this afternoon even though I cancelled the appointment. I wasnt home.

I have a letter through my door 'We have attended your address in order to execute a liability order, issued by the magistrates court'

Ive sent a letter to the council telling them it was wrong of them to send my account to bailiffs 2 days after I called them to say Id lost my job & 2 days after the first payment on the payment arrangement was due.

Hopefully they will see reason & see that they have treated me wronlgy & this matter can be sorted out.

All this mess is really uncalled for. All they had to do was reasess my payment arrangement to allow for me losing my job, not send my account to bailiffs.

Whats wrong with this country??

You are so deluding yourself Peepo if you think the council give a damn about you, your family or your job.

As far as they are concerned, you are the selfish one for buying food when you could use that money to pay them.

Remember these are the people that sends pensioners to prison for non payment.