Ending Tenancy Letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am planning on ending my periodic tenancy agrrement at the end of july.

I plan on sending my landlady the following letter:

Dear ...

I hereby give notice to terminate my tenancy at ....

The last day of my tenancy will be 31ST July 2008. I will be available on that date after 7pm to complete a check-out inspection.

I will be due back my deposit of 6 weeks rent which I calculate to be £623.

As I understand it deductions may be made from my deposit only for damage to the property or outstanding bills, but no deductions may be made for fair wear and tear to the property ie wear to carpets after a 3 year tenancy, water damage after leaks etc.

Prior to moving out I will ensure that the property is thoroughly cleaned, the grass is cut and that the carpets have been professionally cleaned. I will also provide proof that all outstanding bills on the property will have been paid up-to-date.

Please let me know asap if there is anything else you require me to do before I leave the property in order to ensure that I receive back my full deposit.

I have lived in the flat for 3 years with my friend who intends to stay on and get somebody else in to replace me. My landlady is notoriously difficult and has witheld large chunks of deposit for other tenants who have moved out of other flats in our building. I am trying to do all that I can to ensure that she does not attemt to try and keep my deposit.

Does anybody have any advice or comments on my letter ?

Many Thanks!

Seems fair to me.

May be worth stating that you expect the deposit returned within 14 days of the end of the tenancy, and also saying "PROVABLE damages" rather than just damages. I would also leave out "or outstanding bills" (she cant withhold for that reason).

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

No worries.

The bills are none of her concern basically - they are in your name I assume?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

• 1 year later...

Hello, is your friend on the lease also? Or is it just in your name? Make sure there is a new lease drawn up in your friends name. Is this a sublet? for the rest of your term or is your term over? If it is a sublet then you are responsible for anyone moving in and any damages they may make. If you are leaving and ending your entire term then you will be ok. I would suggest you have your landlord come 3days before the end of your term to inspect the property and then when she says everything is ok... you tell her she will get her key back on the last day when she gives you your total deposite back. I am in London Canada and I am a Landlord. I am not sure if our laws apply to your laws but I would definately have her come see things several days before you are to leave so if there is anything wrong you have a few days to fit it then she has no excuse to keep any of your deposit. Also, have a witness there with you when she does the inspection before your lease is up and after you do the final walk threw. (not the person that is staying on either) hope this helps... good luck!

Sherri