Alias on my credit report?

Shutsumon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4872 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just got through checking my credit report and there's an alias on it and I have no idea who this person is (except that they aren't me). There's no credit checks or debts I don't recognise on the report so I doubt it's a fraud thing. So I'm a little baffled as to where they got it.

Thing is this "alias" is my first name and initial with my mum's maiden name as surname. I've definately never used this name. Has my data got mixed up with some other poor bod with a similar name or should I be worried about fraud in spite of there being no attempts to gain credit that aren't mine (and precious few of those due to my history)? Should I try and get it removed? If so how?

My mum's name is also linked to mine (not as an alias) on the report which in one sense is fair enough since we were financially related as well as genetically... but she died in 2001, should it still be there?

Shutsumon

The most likely way in which your name is linked with your mum's would be if you and your mum made a credit application (or utilities, mobile phone etc) in joint names, or if you or she acted as guarantor for the other. This then creates a financial link with the other person and their own credit history.

Depending on the choice of the lender (and the wording on the application form) your credit applications may then be considered not just on your own credit history but also on those of anyone who you have had a link with.

As to why your mum's maiden name is showing - no idea I'm afraid. The CRA should have a helpline where you can query this and hopefull get it resolved.

The most likely way in which your name is linked with your mum's would be if you and your mum made a credit application (or utilities, mobile phone etc) in joint names, or if you or she acted as guarantor for the other. This then creates a financial link with the other person and their own credit history.

Depending on the choice of the lender (and the wording on the application form) your credit applications may then be considered not just on your own credit history but also on those of anyone who you have had a link with.

Yeah, that was my summise. She was disabled and I was her carer so we were financially linked due me being on virtually everything credit related she had. Even the loan-o-doom was joint. I was only surprised since she's been dead for seven years. Can you even check a file after the person is deceased? (Though hell her credit rating was likely better than mine is right now).

As to why your mum's maiden name is showing - no idea I'm afraid. The CRA should have a helpline where you can query this and hopefull get it resolved.

Yeah I'll have to do that once I don't have a sore throat. Can't talk at the moment. :( But how will I prove to them that I'm not this other person? I'd never do anything so fundamentally dishonest as apply for credit in a false name.

Becky

Your credit record should have a reference number assigned to it, and they go through very thorough checks so that you say who say you are. In the first instance call them, and see what they can do. They will probably say they need it in writing, but you have all the details anyway, so it "should" just be a formality. Another thing they allow is for you to add a note from yourself, so they might suggest that, but just call and ask for advice anyway.

Regards etc...

I found I had a number of aliases on mine 21 to be in fact.....I emailed experian who were really quite good. Would you believe that a lot of the aliases came from incorrect spelling of my name and the biggest joke was it was Orange PLC.... several times throughout the file registered against me though twice on there they got my name spelt right but still managed to get it wrong at least 8 times. The reference is very handy to give experian, I made a list of each entry giving the ref and they investigated this and got them removed after contacting orange and them sent me an email to confirm this and also advise they would let all companies who had searched my file in the last 6 mths know also.

So I would definitely suggest emailing them if you are not in a position to speak!!

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

• 2 years later...

I have just gone through my Experien report & never noticed it before, but my aliases have me also known as my husband! I checked his file & all my debt is on his file too??? None of these debts are joint applications, they are my credit cards & mobile (orange) phone accounts past & present this has made me angry as my husband's credit file is in poorer shape than mine. no wonder I have problem getting credit - It looks very dodgy!

I've emailed Experien with the ref Nos. Can I expect anything more than an apology - who would be to blame for this?