Category C write off

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm thinking about buying a car that has been recorded as a Cat C write off.

It's been repaired and has it's VIC certificate, V5C and 12 months MOT which suggests to me that it has been properly repaired. The current owner says that the only structural damage was the front cross member, the rest was wings, bumper and bonnet.

Is it likely to cause me any problems with insurance companies. Obviously I'll declare it as cat C when I get quotes, I just don't want to buy a car that I can't insure.

I'm thinking about buying a car that has been recorded as a Cat C write off.

It's been repaired and has it's VIC certificate, V5C and 12 months MOT which suggests to me that it has been properly repaired. The current owner says that the only structural damage was the front cross member, the rest was wings, bumper and bonnet.

Is it likely to cause me any problems with insurance companies. Obviously I'll declare it as cat C when I get quotes, I just don't want to buy a car that I can't insure.

Get some quotes before you buy it then:rolleyes:

One thing that may come up - but won't be mentioned at the quote stage - is that in the event of a total loss, the value/pay out will be reduced to reflect that the vehicle has previously been a total loss.

The VIC test is nothing more than an identity check (to attempt to prevent 'ringing' of a written off vehicle). It is not concerned with the roadworthiness of the vehicle.

An MoT test only checks tested items and certainly is not a check of the quality of the repair.

For your own piece of mind, I suggest a detailed, expert inspection of the repairs to ensure that they are properly done. This will probably involve checking the car on a jig to ensure that the chassis is absolutely true. The parts mentioned in your post are all bolt-on parts (even the crossmember) are you sure that the underlying structure has been properly checked for alignment.

Thanks Pat

I've tried to get a couple of quotes this morning but the companies were very non-commital about the vehicle status and just kept saying "as long as it is roadworthy" which a new MOT suggests it is but I'm seriously thinking about not bothering. It concerns me that a 4 year old car with 18000 miles on the clock would be written off with relatively little damage apparently.

Hi,

Having worked in the motor insurance industry, I can say that insurers are very quick to write off a vehicle these days. It's often the labour that costs more than the parts so easier to just w/o.

As suggested before, get a proper independent engineers report stating that the vehicle has been repaired to a high standard and that also the vehicle IS roadworthy (the broker or insurer should ask you for this anyway!). With this report an Insurance Company cannot refuse to insure you however it can impose terms (such as reduced value should another total loss occur) and also inflate the premium how it sees fit. Anyhow, you will find an insurer that is willing to insure at a reasonable cost - it's do-able and there are plenty out there.

Another thing to bear in mind is bumping the car on once you've had enough though - you may have been quick to buy it but finding someone else as eager may be tough - good old ebay I say!

Hope this helps!

I'm the Mummy and quite frankly, the CSA can kiss my butt!! :lol::lol:

Hi

we always ask for a independant engineers report before we will put a Cat c or d on cover, we can still quote but wont accept until the report has been seen etc and confirms that all repairs have been professionally carried out etc. new or used parts etc

Hi

we always ask for a independant engineers report before we will put a Cat c or d on cover, we can still quote but wont accept until the report has been seen etc and confirms that all repairs have been professionally carried out etc. new or used parts etc

Not arguing with your company's stance, but

a) Cat D is not reportable, so how would the owner know?

b) I can see no requirement for professionally repaired (ie somebody has been paid to do it); I can see an argument for competently repaired (ie anyone can do it - properly)

Cat D doesn't always go on the register but it may do - I myself bought a car that was a cat d write-off (I knew this). Cat D is cosmetic damage only but value not worth repair.

As this vehicle is cat C, I would check with HPI to see if it is on register as I looked at a vehicle recently that was listed on website as Cat C. When I checked with HPI it wasn't registered as a write-off at all! So some cat c's don't make it on the register either!

Asking for an independent engineers report is standard practice by an insurer, they often want to know who carried out the repairs also - receipts etc.

I'm the Mummy and quite frankly, the CSA can kiss my butt!! :lol::lol: