2 policies but no claims discount only applies to one?

pj41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3541 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have had a car insurace policy with Kwik fit for the last 4 years or so on the same car and now have about 9 years no claims discount.

Recently I purchased another car and rang them for a quote on the new car. I'm Keeping the original car and policy. I went through all the questions and was quoted a figure and paid for the years insurance in one go.

One of the questions being "how many years no claims do you have?" (answer above).

Two weeks later I receive a letter from kwik fit asking me to forward them documentation demonstrating my mime years no claims. I wrote back and said My other policy is with you etc and the advisor on phone went through this.

Got another letter asking for same information so wrote back generally complaining that they didn't seem to now what they were doing and sort it out amongst yourselves etc.

Had a phone call from complaints dept advising that no claims discount applies to ONE car/ONE policy at a time and they want to zero my discount down and charge me the difference. I advised it was their error, to which they admitted it was their mistake and would pay for any additional costs incurred from the insurance company.

during the conversation I did say that I may be selling the original car during the summer at my pace, if i feel like it.

Had a phone call tonight informing me that the insurace company will hold the original policy as valid for 60 days max by which time I must either sell the original car or pay the increased premium on the new car with zero no claims discount.

question : is this right? do no claims discounts apply to a policy and a vehicle. I would have thought that a driver/owner would make a claim not the car.

Thoughts and comments most appreciated.

Cheers

pj41

Yes, this is correct. you can only use your NCD on one policy at a time.

As its in use on your 1st car, you cant use it on the 2nd as well.

You really only have a few options.

1) Pay the additional premium for zero NCD on the 2nd car.

2) remove the NCD from the 1st policy, pay whatever AP is due on that one, this will free up the NCD to use on the 2nd policy.

3) see if kwik fit offer some kind of 2nd car policy whereby the offer you a discount for insuring 2 card.

4) try and find another company that will offer a discount for insuring 2 cars (tesco and admiral do for starters) and cancel both cars with kwik fit and move to the new company.

As a side note (and this sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, so bear with me!) If you are intending to sell your 1st car, what you could do is cancel the new policy and add the second car to the 1st policy as a temporary additional vehicle for a couple of months (time limits vary from company to company) then when you sell the 1st car, just do a change of vehicle on the 1st policy.

Hope that helps

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

• 4 months later...

hi, i am having some trouble with my insurance company about NCB. i have 3 cars with 3 insurers. one being my business car, family car and run around car. i am insured on my business car, my wife and i are insured on the family car, and my son and i on the 3rd car.

Now i have NCB on my car and family car, but as the 3rd is a new addition to the household, i have no NCB on it. my son is a student and he uses it now and again.

Does anyone know whether you can split your NCB from other insurers to put some on another car?

thanks

No is the answer to that.

As Darkangelsdelite so eloquently explained the position earlier on a NCB applies to ONE car only, since the 3rd car you mention is a NEW car and an ADDITIONAL car to your household any NCB you are entitled to is already in use on the existing vehicle. You cannot say I have 8 years NCB so I will take 4 years on car 1 and 4 years on car 2, it is one NCB per policy (ie per vehicle).

As a side note as a motor claims handler I am always suspicious when I see an extra car suddenly appearing into a household where there is a young driver who drives it 'every now and again', if your son is the main user of that vehicle you really should insure it in his name as opposed to adding him as an additional driver just to save money on a premium.

I won't go into any great detail here but insurers are well aware this happens and should a claim be made and it transpires that your son was the main user it will have serious consequences, you would be amazed at what insurers can find out when they start looking.

Mossy

How would they find out such a thing MC?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I believe Mossy is referring to "Fronted Risk".

If you do a search through the forums you will see there are is a lot of information about this subject posted elsewhere.

What he said is spot on though, you cant split your NCD so you would either have to start with zero or try to find a company that will cover all 3 cars with some sort of multiple discount.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

Thanks for the input, but that doesnt answer my question.

My question was HOW would they possibly find out that the proportion of driving time is not as stated on the policy.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

My question was HOW would they possibly find out that the proportion of driving time is not as stated on the policy.

Normally it comes after an accident.

You have a legal obligation to be truthful. (In fact it goes beyond that.) If you are not, you can find yourself with a very expensive problem.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

How would they find out such a thing MC?

MrShed

I really cannot answer that, I cannot disclose the techniques we (or other Companies use) to detect fraud.

You have seen enough of my posts to know that I try to post helpful replies and my original post on this thread was meant to try and help the OP.

Just trust me when I say that if the main user of a vehicle is a young driver we can usually ascertain that in a very short period of time.

Mossy

Fair enough MC :)

Normally we'd pick this up in CSD when you ring in to discuss the policy, we're all trained in how to detect fraud and to spot when something isn't quite right on a policy, simply by asking a few questions.

When you take out a policy, you agree to something called the duty of disclosure. you'll find most insurers will ask you to be honest with any answers you give as any in-accuracy's may invalidate your cover.

Again, echoing what mossy said, i'm not going to go into specifics, but suffice to say the entire industry is clamping down on fraud big time as its costing millions!

DA

• 5 years later...
Why must it only apply to one car?? cannot get a logical answer.

Already answered. This goes back years ago, when most people only had 1 car. It became industry practice when people started to have other cars for it to be necessary to build up another no claims discount entitlement. I can't see the industry changing this.

You can only use one NCD entitlement on one car for this reason.

If you own more than one car, you should go to a brokers and they can work out the best option.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Why must it only apply to one car?? cannot get a logical answer.

This thread is 6 years old, if you want further advice please start your own thread.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: