Swinton Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Persha

I had insurance with Broker Swinton and was paying by direct debit, which I cancelled because of financial problems for one month and then agreed to make payment by cheque. The insurance company accepted this and accepted the first payment by cheque then I got a letter to say that the policy had been cancelled and there was an amount of £88.49 owning. I contacted them to say why had they cancelled the policy when they had accepted by cheque, they took about 3 months to advise of cancellation. I have also asked them for a breakdown to see how they got to this figure. Today they took the outstanding amount of £88.49 from my account with my authorisation. Can they do this? I am not dispute I owe the insurance only the amount and what gave them the right to take it from my account.

I had insurance with Broker Swinton and was paying by direct debit, which I cancelled because of financial problems for one month and then agreed to make payment by cheque. The insurance company accepted this and accepted the first payment by cheque then I got a letter to say that the policy had been cancelled and there was an amount of £88.49 owning. I contacted them to say why had they cancelled the policy when they had accepted by cheque, they took about 3 months to advise of cancellation. I have also asked them for a breakdown to see how they got to this figure. Today they took the outstanding amount of £88.49 from my account with my authorisation. Can they do this? I am not dispute I owe the insurance only the amount and what gave them the right to take it from my account.

They may have agreed to accept one payment by cheque but i would be very surprised if they would let you continually pay by cheque each month as the costs for admin etc would be higher plus you could never guarantee a cheque would clear on the same date every month.

It sounds like they have cancelled your policy for non-payment and are now just billing you for the arrears. This will usually just be for the time that you've been on cover but have not yet paid for.

You should be able to go into your local swinton branch and they will explain how they arrived at the final settlement.

In regards to the payment, you say that they've taken it from your account with your authorisation so i don't understand what you mean. :confused:

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

Guest Persha

Hi - there is a typo I meant to say they took the balance using the card details we gave them for the deposit WITHOUT our authorisation. I am upset because they said we should make payment by cheque for the arrears which we did and then they said they would re-instate the direct debit, they deposited the cheque but put it on the wrong account, then cancelled the policy and took the money. We have now lost out on a no claim bonus. It is not our fault they put the cheque on the wrong account and are they allowed to take money without our authorisation.

yes they can as you gave them your card details. i had a similar problem with them they cancelled my policy without warning as my dd got cancelled! ive written to thier head office to complain as they also say I have to pay the cancellation fee! that was 2 weeks ago and i havnt heard anything back. they r a joke!