Car Stolen Insurance Claim

altona18
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5778 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been looking at site for a while and am really impressed with what I have seen. We currently have a situation with our insurers Privilege who just seem to be dragging there heals with our claim and are also not providing us with any information regarding what is going on.

The car was stolen on the 25th April so claim has been active since 26th April and they just will not tell us anything. Any request for information they require has been provided asap although they claim it takes almost 5 days to get on there system.

I just really need some advise on what we can do to be treated decently we are really being made to feel like we have done something wrong. Any help with a plan to move forward would be most appreciated. As it currently stands we have no car, finance agreement and no idea what to do next.

Thanks

Privilege are part of Direct Line - I was insured by them and had my car stolen (the day after I bought it). It was recovered 100 yards away, damaged and with a wrecked tyre. I found similar problems getting the insurer to act. It was 18 months in my case with the car going back and forth to their apponted garage - each time it came back with more damage, and eventually the final paint job was a very poor quality and I had to take it to my own garage.

Anyway - I suggest you keep contacting them andf keep a record of your calls - it may not do you any good with the insurer, but if you need to complain to the FSA it will.

Basically you will contact them and they say someone will call you back. They won't. If there is no-one they can bill for they will drag their heels. Keep contacting them and if they drag too much make sure you get a courtesy car - even their own courtesy car policy states that they will only provide one for 14 days (and that is at a premium). It took 4 weeks for then just to authorise the repairs - my car was off the road all that time.

Another thing that annoyed me was that if they did call, they called from a withheld number and then started asking "security" questions. You know, the kind of questions that could be used for identity theft - the kind of questions that a bank like RBS would tell you not to answer....

Sorry, more of a rant than anything, but keep contacting them.

I had to help a friend with his claim with the Privilege - his car was stolen and they refused to pay on the basis that they felt he "failed to safeguard the keys' to his car". I complained and took the case to the FOS and they upheld the complaint and made the Privilege pay. You will have to keep on at them i'm affraid.

some stolen car claims are not as open and shut as people think, they have to follow up any police report etc, where the car was stolen,where it was found,damage,signs of theft etc.

the number of times "my car was stolen from outside the pub at about 12:30am,it was then found wrapped around a tree,with the keys in the ignition, I didnt realise it was stolen until the next day,when my hangover went".:)

if you call and ask what is the present position with the claim, they should tell you what stage they are at, i,e a claims accessor will call you,we are awaiting for the crime reference number, etc

I know when I worked at DL that they used to wait a week to see if the car turned up before doing anything. Basis was taht there was no point forking out for a car taht could turn up afterwards with minor damage. But the length of time you have waited is ridiculous. Put a complaint in writing to them and follow the process. If any deadline is missed or the final response is unsatisfactory, you can then go to teh FOS.

I know when I worked at DL that they used to wait a week to see if the car turned up before doing anything. Basis was taht there was no point forking out for a car taht could turn up afterwards with minor damage. But the length of time you have waited is ridiculous. Put a complaint in writing to them and follow the process. If any deadline is missed or the final response is unsatisfactory, you can then go to teh FOS.

Thanks everyone certainly am going to put complaint in just not sure will make any difference as they are so negative on the phone and tell us the same rubbish everytime.

Anyway just an update they apparantley almost there now and file will move from claim handler to department which makes payment, they can not tell us when but will be soon. They then said they would give a check with all the councils to see if they have the vehicle which we have done on numerous occasions. I am sure we are just going around in circles, who should we complain to and what is FOS.

Thanks everyone!

You should complain to teh company - the details will be in your policy book. The FOS is the Financial Ombudsman Service who are a "last resort" of comlpaint. If the company fails to adhere to the guidelines, such as by missing timeframes for responding, or gives a response that you are unhappy with, then and ONLY then, will the FOS take up the case.

It is a free service (well, you dont have to pay but the insurer does) and their decision is binding on the insurer.

Still no update now saying maybe 2 weeks until all concluded, got knows why it can be taking so long. I dont think I will ever own a car again If insurers behave like this and the reoprting time is a joke FSA have said we need to give them 8 weeks to reply to complaint. Just dont know what to do.

some stolen car claims are not as open and shut as people think, they have to follow up any police report etc, where the car was stolen,where it was found,damage,signs of theft etc.

the number of times "my car was stolen from outside the pub at about 12:30am,it was then found wrapped around a tree,with the keys in the ignition, I didnt realise it was stolen until the next day,when my hangover went".:)

if you call and ask what is the present position with the claim, they should tell you what stage they are at, i,e a claims accessor will call you,we are awaiting for the crime reference number, etc

None of the above matters unless you can prove it suspicion is not enough

Still no update now saying maybe 2 weeks until all concluded, got knows why it can be taking so long. I dont think I will ever own a car again If insurers behave like this and the reoprting time is a joke FSA have said we need to give them 8 weeks to reply to complaint. Just dont know what to do.

Write to them (special delivery) & tell them that you are suffering considerable inconvenience without a car therefore as they seem to be taking too long to settle enabling you to purchase another you intend hiring a replacement vehicle the cost for which they will be liable

Thanks Chris copy of letter below, please anyone feel free to make any adjustments.

Dear Complaints Department,

I am writing regarding my claim for theft of my motor vehicle on the 25th April 08. Unfortunately we have had to make a complaint as I do not feel you are giving me any information to what is happening or any genuine time scales to conclusion of my claim. Since the claim has started you have only sent one letter confirming you have received all documents but have no update since then. I have spoken with your operators on the phone almost on a daily basis not once have we been able to speak with our claims Handler Ellen Church. The information we are given is always different which gives us very little confidence.

I have been told over the last two weeks that claim should be settled shortly and details are just being looked into, we have received no writing notification about this just verbal. I have been prompted to write this letter from the Financial Ombudsman Service, as we have no idea what to do from here. If someone could please come back to me with a genuine update on when this will be settled as we really do not feel we are being treated and can not believe how this is being handled. I have been suffering considerable inconvenience without a car therefore as you seem to be taking too long to settle enabling me to purchase another you. I intend hiring a replacement vehicle the cost for which I believe you will be liable.