Council Tax Demands When No Income Or On Benefits- Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A previous council is suddenly claiming £9000 in arrears of council tax which I never owed because I had no income and no capital and was on benefits at least some of the time.

I was on income support. This was arbitrarily stopped.

I kept borrowing money be remortgaging to survive.

I received council tax demands over several years that I had no income.

I then moved house and started claiming income support as a single parent. This included me receiving council tax housing benefit.

Although continuing in receipt of income support, council tat benefit was stopped for incomprehensible bureaucratic reasons.

Many pointless, obstructive conversations took place with local council.

Finally I appealed, giving perfectly valid reason for appeal that only a lunatic would or could ignore.

They are obviously lunatics because they said the reason was irrelevant, although no reason could be better.

This £9000 bill has now mysteriously appeared after moving from previous council seven years ago.

This is shear totalitarian state persecution.

Help. What can I do about this nonsense ?

Edited by Helplessconsumer
simple correction

It sounds like any Council Tax Benefit entitlement has been removed from your Council Tax account - this amount of money will probably be over around 9-10 years worth of Council Tax.

Unfortunately you do owe the money - the fact that you may be entitled to any Council Tax benefit does not remove the liability, it may reduce it or pay the balance for you if you qualify but it is still your responsibility in law to make sure any Council Tax due for any reason is paid.

You need to speak to the Council regarding the debt - they are the only ones who can advise you as to the full situation. Its not worth ignoring the debt as they will chase for £9K.

I would agree with the above.

If you believe that you are not liable and have paperwork to back up you claim of non liability, then you should take it to the council offices and talk with one of the staff showing them this paperwork.

Failure to provide any supporting paperwork will still leave you liable and the council will not write it off or go away.

Edited by Conniff