Car Insurance/Log Book - Advice Please

peaches_23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The only reason the insurer will ask you for your log book is so they can verify that you are the registered keeper of the vehicle.

They wont pay out until they receive this along with your driving licence, keys are any MOT's etc for the car.

They will still make you an offer without these documents but not sending them in just delays the whole process.

Out of interest, why would you want to withhold it? cos i cant really see any benefits. :confused:

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

I think he feels if he holds onto the log book the ins company cannot become the legal owner if it is deemed a total loss until he accepts a better offer, although they should make an first and you can then counter their offer with a local ads for the same type of vehicle at the price you think it should be.

Thanks all,

I thought it would work if i held on to it for leverage or try and negotiate to keep the salvage (it's extensively damage but repairable)..

They made me an extremely low offer, i collected add's from papers/autotrader as vusys1 says but then had a 2nd offer that was only marginally better. I even sent copy of the valuation from the HPI i had done when i bought it..

If they want proof of ownership, i would be more than happy to send them a copy in the mean time??

Sadly this is quite a common occurrence nowadays. I've got a staff policy and my car was written off in January, i had to fight hard to get the price i wanted for my car too.

Best advice i can give is to just give as much proof as you can that your car is worth what you say it is. Also, it may be worth posting details on here of the make/model/year etc as i know there's some of the guys on here that work in claims so they may be able to give you an idea of what the car is worth from an insurers point of view.

I still don't see any point in withholding the documents as you're only going to delay the process and ultimately its you that's losing out. Even if they send you a cheque for less that you want, you can still fight it and they can always send you more if you win.

DA

• Haha 1

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

Think you must work for the same ins company as me (recently up for sale:)) From the work I do their claims handling is appalling. Colleague in work had his car written off and they didnt even tell him! just got rid and offered 3k below what he paid for it. Not even an offer just the checks in the post.

Some parts of the group have a self authorizing 10k limit where they just pay the claim without any sight of V5, Licence, MOT.

That fine, just bank it as a part payment and keep pushing for the settlement that you want.

Its not over until you give up.